MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cohen increases Met investment (80%)/ Wilpons out by 202
PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:05 pm 
Rookie

God this news makes me so so happy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:25 pm 
Draft Pick

Best Mets news in 25 years

Thankful those who have been patient will be rewarded and we don’t have to acknowledge all these dopes who have endorsed this bs for so long

Thank goodness

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:29 pm 
Franchise Player

So happy for this billionaire. He deserves it. Hard work and 30% returns on investments really pays off.

The devil I know was a weird father son dynamic that bungled pretty much everything. Not so bad. But I expect a soulless, vampire of a banker fulfilling a need for power and status and adoration and collecting things will be great too.

Francessa seems to think nothing will stop this guy from infusing money now.

I’m not saying I like the Wilpons. I don’t. They signed Tom Glavine and Mike Glavine and that’s freakin unforgivable. They are poor owners. But what makes a good owner? Spending money? Having a stable winner? Winning the big one once? I gravitate toward the last one, but whatever. I guess I’m just jealous. I should really invest my money and take 30% and pay the SEC off and buy Cohen out in 30 years or just shut up and get in line and say yayyyy we may get Gerrit Cole!!!!1!!

It’s cool, I guess. Rendon would look awfully good at the hot corner for the Mets.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:49 pm 
Rookie

Wondering if this move signals a upcoming rebuild.

The new ownership is going to want to start fresh...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:32 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

Sorry, can't get excited until I see the full details. We've been though a Wilpon's selling bamboozle before in 2011 with David Einhorn, only to have the Wilpons pull the rug out on us. Also, what the is up with 5 years?

Still not buying tickets until they're gone gone.

"I think the best owners always are the ones who understand that they really don't own the team. The fans own the team. For a period of time, you are a steward, and you'll be judged on how well you manage that."
- Warriors COO Rick Welts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:47 pm 
Draft Pick

Please let this be, let this happen. It would be great to have the Mets spend like they are in the largest market in the US instead of like they are Billings Montana. Still hate that the Wilpons will be able to drag this out for 5 years though but I will wait if we long suffering fans can finally be done with their reign.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:39 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Ralf wrote:
Sorry, can't get excited until I see the full details. We've been though a Wilpon's selling bamboozle before in 2011 with David Einhorn, only to have the Wilpons pull the rug out on us. Also, what the is up with 5 years?

Still not buying tickets until they're gone gone.

It’s not clear how this is working either. Is Cohen investing now but letting Fred keep his “CEO” role despite 80% of th profits going to Steve? Is Steve just commuting to paying a certain price over time culminating in his takeover in 2025?

The Wilpons let Einhorn infuse some cash with the promise of a future takeover and then pulled the plug. Obviously skeptical of something similar here.

I’m also not sure this doesn’t get extremely painful in short term. Not sure if Steve is providing money he wants Fred to control how it’s spent. Or if not, why Fred wouldn’t run the leanest ship possible in the next 5 years to maximiZe profits before the big cash out. And presumably Cohen doesn’t want to inherit anything long term he didn’t have a hand in approving.

Well see. This may end with the winning of a war but there may be many battles lost in the interim.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:59 pm 
Rookie

This is pretty exciting, but even if Cohen does buy the team and boost the payroll, let's not forget that money is only part of the formula for success. Competence counts too. Sure would be nice if BVW is on the way out with the Wilpons.

Side note: a little disappointed that he seems pretty slimy, but I suppose most people don't earn their billions through hard work...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:08 pm 
Everyday Player

Metsfan980 wrote:
Why can't they go away now?

What's your hurry here's your hat.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:20 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

Cohen is one of the world’s more famous art collectors, sometimes spending nine figures on a single work. In 2015, he spent $141.3 million on Alberto Giacometti’s “Pointing Man” sculpture — more money than the Mets have ever spent on an individual player’s contract.

"I think the best owners always are the ones who understand that they really don't own the team. The fans own the team. For a period of time, you are a steward, and you'll be judged on how well you manage that."
- Warriors COO Rick Welts

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:37 pm 
Franchise Player

He also bought The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living. You know, just a dead shark suspended in a tank of formaldehyde.

Soooo. Yeah.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:51 am 
Legend of NYFS

If you want a guy who's going to spend $300M on Zack Wheeler you're in luck.

8)

8)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next