MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2019 NYM Draft: Round 12, Pick 358: OF Antoine Duplantis
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:49 am 
Everyday Player

Any news? This is one of the few bats I like in this draft...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:59 pm 
Everyday Player

I'm probably way off but is this a possible reason for the delay in signing Duplantis? Duplantis bonus will be higher than Mangrum. So the Mets had to sign Mangrum first to keep him from holding out for more and hurting their chances of signing Allen. I know it's out there but guess it's possible and we are talking about the Mets.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:27 pm 
Legend of NYFS

underdog wrote:
I'm probably way off but is this a possible reason for the delay in signing Duplantis? Duplantis bonus will be higher than Mangrum. So the Mets had to sign Mangrum first to keep him from holding out for more and hurting their chances of signing Allen. I know it's out there but guess it's possible and we are talking about the Mets.

If that's true, and it sounds reasonable, that's another reason why minimum singing bonuses should be put in place. No reason for a guy they like more, also a senior, to get less because of where he was drafted and when he signed.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:41 pm 
Rookie

LTKfRGM wrote:
underdog wrote:

If that's true, and it sounds reasonable, that's another reason why minimum singing bonuses should be put in place. No reason for a guy they like more, also a senior, to get less because of where he was drafted and when he signed.

I highly doubt that, we can get 125k without effecting our bonus pool. No reason to pay a college senior that money, he has no leverage and is not subjecto to the July signing deadline since his eligibility is up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:24 am 
Everyday Player

The Mets could sign all picks, rounds 11-40, for $125K each and it would have no effect on their bonus pool. And no, a college senior will get no where close to that.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:27 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Quote:
Jim Callis
‏Verified account @jimcallisMLB
1m1 minute ago

12th-rder Antoine Duplantis signs with @Mets for $85k. I believe that's the third-highest bonus in 2019 @MLBDraft for a true college senior. Louisiana State OF, school's all-time hits leader, well above-average speed & plus defender.

Link

8)

8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:56 pm 
Everyday Player

Maybe I was right in my thinking of why it took so long for Duplantis to sign.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:38 pm 
NYFS Staff

underdog wrote:

What a broken system. I haven't given it much thought, but they should make slot values guaranteed and force the HS players into a take it or leave it scenario. That will also ensure that the best college players get drafted in an appropriate order, instead of run-of-the-mill seniors getting taken so early. And it will obviously prevent guys like Duplantis getting 4x what Mangum got.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:52 pm 
Legend of NYFS

sluger11787 wrote:
What a broken system. I haven't given it much thought, but they should make slot values guaranteed and force the HS players into a take it or leave it scenario. That will also ensure that the best college players get drafted in an appropriate order, instead of run-of-the-mill seniors getting taken so early. And it will obviously prevent guys like Duplantis getting 4x what Mangum got.

Well, perhaps when the Class of 2019 is running the Players Association they won't sell out the amateur players for quick cash like every generation before them did.....

8)

8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:21 pm 
Legend of NYFS

sluger11787 wrote:
underdog wrote:

yes but this ain't it, chief.

Every single team has approximately what, 125 million in revenue before a pitch is thrown? Go back to an uncapped draft. There's no excuse for any team to not sign these guys to deals.

The wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

brodie is the worst GM in the history of Earth

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:02 am 
NYFS Staff

Minimum slots. Guarantee kids at least $50K, and raise the slots a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:09 am 
Legend of NYFS

Next CBA the maximum might be $50K, and no one in the Players association would vote against it.

8)

8)