MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019 NYM Draft: Round 4, Pick 118: CF Jake Mangum
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:50 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Ok, so you can overspend your allotment by up to 5% for a 75% penalty. So Mets can spend an additional 410K over their $8.2m allotment (and pay 300K penalty).

Over 5% and you start losing future picks. No team has ever done that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:16 pm 
Prospect

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Ok, so you can overspend your allotment by up to 5% for a 75% penalty. So Mets can spend an additional 410K over their $8.2m allotment (and pay 300K penalty).

Based on that, you essentially have $8.6 million to play with.

While Allan certainly won't be a cheap sign, I think he must have lowered his asking price, relative to the rumored $4 million that was reported last night.

Just spit-balling numbers here
Baty: $3.5 (4.37)
Wolf: $1.2 (1.37)
Allan: $3.25 (0.667)

Based on those figures, that gives 650K to play with for the remaining 7 picks, or essentially, on average, 1/3 of slot on everything.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:19 pm 
Legend of NYFS

deviljets wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

While Allan certainly won't be a cheap sign, I think he must have lowered his asking price, relative to the rumored $4 million that was reported last night.

Based on those figures, that gives 650K to play with for the remaining 7 picks, or essentially, on average, 1/3 of slot on everything.

Cubs didn't pick him last night with their first pick because he held steady on $4m ask.

The experts speculate around 3.8m on Baty, 4m on Allan, 800k on Wolf and then $5k bonuses the rest of the first 10 rounds, which leaves them with 125k to offer anyone after round 10.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:56 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I don't get a guy holding firm on 4 and saying no to 3.7, OK, technically that's what holding firm means, but at some point it's a bad risk. Wasn't there a pitcher who was offered like 4 million, he turned it down, went to college and got 6th round money 3 years later or something like that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:32 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Ralf wrote:
Here come the college kids....

Anyone have a guess how many in a row? I say the rest of Day 2 is college kids.

They basically have to save all of their money minus a few nominal bonus amounts on the remainder of picks 4-10, plus get round 1 underslot, to have a chance at signing their 3rd.

So I would expect not only college kids, but seniors, and mostly senior relievers, the rest of today.

Exactly

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:37 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
I don't get a guy holding firm on 4 and saying no to 3.7, OK, technically that's what holding firm means, but at some point it's a bad risk. Wasn't there a pitcher who was offered like 4 million, he turned it down, went to college and got 6th round money 3 years later or something like that.

I'm sure that happens literally all of the time.

But some kids also want to go to college. So its not only about the signing bonus, but buying them out of that. Its not like other sports where the enticement of being a "pro athlete" is so great - foregoing your college life to toil in short season ball is not exactly an upgrade.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:21 pm 
Rookie

LTKfRGM wrote:

You tell a HS kid he has a chance to earn 3M$ right now and all he has to do is a sign a piece of paper... He’s going to do it every single time...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:01 pm 
Manager

Well just like that, the supposed 4 mill asking price doesn't seem true...deviljets is on it.

You will be missed Carlos!

Remember Met fans, every trade is different and independent from the rest. TIS...Trust in Sandy!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:19 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
deviljets wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Cubs didn't pick him last night with their first pick because he held steady on $4m ask.

The experts speculate around 3.8m on Baty, 4m on Allan, 800k on Wolf and then $5k bonuses the rest of the first 10 rounds, which leaves them with 125k to offer anyone after round 10.

I bet it ends up being closer to $3M for Allan.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:43 am 
Legend of NYFS

stevereiff wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

You tell a HS kid he has a chance to earn 3M$ right now and all he has to do is a sign a piece of paper... He’s going to do it every single time...

To be fair, it's more like 99% of the time. There have been HS kids who've turned down that much. Just not very many of them.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:17 pm 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
stevereiff wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:

To be fair, it's more like 99% of the time. There have been HS kids who've turned down that much. Just not very many of them.

Huh? Every year there are multiple guys who drop or fall out entirely because they are firmly committed and want (or even don’t want) pool busting bonuses to foregoing that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:22 pm 
NYFS Staff

I like this senior choice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next