Switch to full style
The forum to discuss all things relating to the Rule IV Draft (aka the June Amateur Draft).
Post a reply

Matthew Allan

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:08 am

Yes, before you ask, I think the universe we exist in uploaded the saved data of an aborted Mets franchise I ran into the ground. It’s really the only explanation I can offer.

But anyway. Go Matthew Allan! 60 fastball! 60 curve! Heck yeah!

Re: 2019 NYM Draft: Round 3, Pick 89: RHP Matthew Allan

Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:27 am

I wouldn’t have traded for Cano though. So it’s probably not my save data. Ha! I have no claim to this mess.

Carry on. I’ll be over here.

Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:51 am

MikeH wrote:Getting 3 first round talents is a good haul. I’m just not sure it’s a great idea though. Chances are all 3 bust, and then the Mets have 3 busts and a bunch of seniors.

And what are the odds when a team drafts overslots round 4-10? A lot lower than signing a top 30 ranked draftee. The chance of bust exists across the board, but less so, with first round pick tallent. That's why most people think the mets drafted well this year.

Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:26 am

If he was willing to sign for $2.5M, why didn't any other team know this and take him at the back of round 1 or early round 2? I still just don't understand how this happened, unless he just completely changed his mind after round 2 about going to college (or bluffed too hard to get his bonus higher) and then let teams know before round 3 he would still consider 2.5 and only the Mets were willing to punt rounds 4-10?

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:25 am

Phew. I wasn't sure this was going to work out when it came down to "only" having ~$2.5M to sign him.

This is a huge win for BVW to net both Baty and Allan. These two join a pretty talented group of teenagers the Mets have in Cola and the short-season squads.

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:15 pm

Elster 21 wrote:If he was willing to sign for $2.5M, why didn't any other team know this and take him at the back of round 1 or early round 2?

If $2.5M was his "floor", why wouldn't he take a crack at getting more? Can't get $4M unless you at least try to put on a good show of holding out for it.

He might have cost himself a bit of money in the end by standing firm all through day 1 (perhaps he could have gotten, say, $3M in the sandwich round, if he'd caved earlier). But swinging for the fences is a rational negotiating decision if you're pretty sure you can still get your "floor" deal later.

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:31 pm

MikeH wrote:On the flip side to my own post, first rounders have a much greater chance of reaching the majors and generally are first round talents for a reason. These players are definitely a big boost for the system.

Can I say I like the strategy if it works and not like it if it doesn’t?

We all feel it. The draft is rigged in a haphazard fashion to overstate its delusion of importance. It’s built for TV now. Baseball has ventured away from it’s weird in an effort to suppress wages and signing bonuses and maximize profits and further add to the overwhelming power wielded by owners. The players just want a chance. And Agent General Managers occupy their post-playing days by making some trades and simulating until the draft like OOTP ‘19 real life Career mode. Whoops. Forgot to scout. I’ll just draft the baseball America top available and sim a little more until the trading deadline. The fake owner (who keeps emailing me ughhh) can’t fire me if I fire the coach first. I think the coach is suspended or something anyway. Wait, no I think lefty starter got into a fight. Verbal fight? ::shrug:: Hehe 10k fine, gents. Ooh can I suspend them? Ehh, don’t feel like figuring that out. Oh, got a text from my mistress. Have to go wax my chest while I save and quit but never bother to load this save data again.

Buddy, this is what you're looking for

Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:48 pm

Give credit to Brodie and/or Tanous for doing their homework

They saw an opportunity to get arguably the best HS pitcher in the draft and they went for it

I would LOVE to see this strategy deployed every draft (if the same situation presents itself .. i.e... a 1st round talent falls to the 3rd round and could be gotten for around 2.5 million and then go super cheap 4-10)

And i'm pretty intrigued by these seniors we got 4-10

This seems like a real Moneyball mentality -- are these seniors undervalued?

Mangum only cost 20K ... yet you look at all these juniors we have taken in recent years and they cost between 200k to 500k bonus?

That seems like a disconnect that's worth exploiting

Pooling that money for 3 1st round talents .. and then buying up potentially undervalued seniors for peanuts

That is the type of moneyball thinking that Sandy and his regime NEVER showed

Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:54 pm

Allan is in NY, Signing maybe imminent

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:08 pm

This is excellent news in a terrible news cycle for this team.

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:15 am

Matthew Allan will sign Mets deal today. A coup for team to get first-round talent with pick No. 89. He is expected to receive $2.5M, which is what the team has left.

Per Heyman.

We deserve good news right now. Good job

Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:46 am

Seeing 'He will' a lot.

Still waiting for 'He has'.

Because....... Mets........

8)
Post a reply