MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019 NYM Draft: Round 3, Pick 89: RHP Matthew Allan
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:19 am 
Legend of NYFS

jdawginsc wrote:
Not that our skillset is equated, but I will likely have made $1.7m in my entire teaching career when I retire, taxed/deducted at around 40% over time...

$2.5m would be pretty life changing for me! Haha.

JDawg, I'm not sure where in the country you are located or when you began your career, but a public school teacher in NY who teaches for 30 years starting today, the same time this kid's career would start, would make far more than $1.7m.

The point is that baseball is very different than anything else. This is not an annuity. A one-time bonus payment is great but they aren't seeing anything else income wise for a while after that. And we know the lifestyle is toughhh. And we know the success rates.

These HS kids have leverage, and they also have their whole lives ahead of them. People get real weird on the whole "SIGN!!!! TAKE THE MONEY!!! FOLLOW YOUR DREAMSSSS!!!!!" and real aggressive and i find it really skeevy.

"WHAt!? You don't want to be a PRO BASEBALL PLAYER!!!??"!

Well, maybe he does, but maybe he also doesn't want to be 26 languishing in the minors with no MLB pathway making no money and with no career prospects, and that "$1 million" dried up years ago as it was more like $550k after taxes, and he bought himself a house, and a car - not extravagant, mind you - and has sustained on the rest for the last 6, 7, 8 years to supplement his the $4-5k/month he makes during the season and the odd jobs he does in the winter.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:27 am 
Legend of NYFS

Is the success rate of teachers any better than the success rate of prospects?

I would think many of them don't make it out of their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th years.....

8)

8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:21 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:
Not that our skillset is equated, but I will likely have made $1.7m in my entire teaching career when I retire, taxed/deducted at around 40% over time...

$2.5m would be pretty life changing for me! Haha.

JDawg, I'm not sure where in the country you are located or when you began your career, but a public school teacher in NY who teaches for 30 years starting today, the same time this kid's career would start, would make far more than $1.7m.

The point is that baseball is very different than anything else. This is not an annuity. A one-time bonus payment is great but they aren't seeing anything else income wise for a while after that. And we know the lifestyle is toughhh. And we know the success rates.

These HS kids have leverage, and they also have their whole lives ahead of them. People get real weird on the whole "SIGN!!!! TAKE THE MONEY!!! FOLLOW YOUR DREAMSSSS!!!!!" and real aggressive and i find it really skeevy.

"WHAt!? You don't want to be a PRO BASEBALL PLAYER!!!??"!

Well, maybe he does, but maybe he also doesn't want to be 26 languishing in the minors with no MLB pathway making no money and with no career prospects, and that "$1 million" dried up years ago as it was more like $550k after taxes, and he bought himself a house, and a car - not extravagant, mind you - and has sustained on the rest for the last 6, 7, 8 years to supplement his the $4-5k/month he makes during the season and the odd jobs he does in the winter.

Not sure which side you're advocating for but most (if not all) of these kids dream about getting drafted and becoming a professional baseball player... and the chance that the majors will a part of their future. Most know that the majors is not a guarantee but are still fortunate to have that chance at it.

And the bonus money is nothing to stick one's nose up at, which you seem to be doing. Many teachers or similar working people struggle for many years to save the money to buy a house so this is nothing to take for granted. It's a nice head start in life and they can always take a different path if the baseball career doesn't work out by 26 or 27. That's still young enough to do something else.

It seems more the exception that players drafted turn down bonuses to go back to college, but it happens.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:21 pm 
NYFS Staff

It was a joke about the teaching...I just believe that it is certainly a risk going pro at a moderate bonus, but it is also a risk going to college and winding up being a senior pick at underslot like 4-10...and a delay in earning potential.

It's a fine line between bird in hand versus eagle on the horizon...

I wish all draftees well but it might be tough to give up $400k unless you are so confident that you will make 10 times that in four years...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:17 am 
Legend of NYFS

Reds gave their 3rd Rounder $1.5M.

Slot was $710,700.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:06 am 
NYFS Staff

R Nitelight wrote:
Is the success rate of teachers any better than the success rate of prospects?

I would think many of them don't make it out of their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th years.....

8)

Depends on the state. Down here, it is roughly 3-4 years then they go into admin or leave the field....I'm a rarity...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:29 am 
Legend of NYFS

Mets have signed 5-10, and Mangum is still playing, but the Mets should have a pretty good idea what they're working with.....

8)

8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:52 am 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
Not sure which side you're advocating for but most (if not all) of these kids dream about getting drafted and becoming a professional baseball player... and the chance that the majors will a part of their future. Most know that the majors is not a guarantee but are still fortunate to have that chance at it.

And the bonus money is nothing to stick one's nose up at, which you seem to be doing. Many teachers or similar working people struggle for many years to save the money to buy a house so this is nothing to take for granted. It's a nice head start in life and they can always take a different path if the baseball career doesn't work out by 26 or 27. That's still young enough to do something else.

It seems more the exception that players drafted turn down bonuses to go back to college, but it happens.

This is exactly what I am against. When folks start acting like they know whats best for the kids, how this is a "head start," how they can always do something else later. Pulling on "dreams" in order to enter a kid into a system thats rigged against them during the only time they will have any leverage for a while in this game.

I get that we all want to sign as many of these kids as possible. It just starts getting weird - every single year - when we start getting those comments that villain-ize the kids who don't sign. We can go check the tapes in some of those threads.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:06 am 
Legend of NYFS

Here's the thing tho, most of these deals include college education as well. So it's not like it's just a bonus.

And I'm sorry, please give me $1.5m (700k ish after taxes) as a lump sum when I'm 18 (2002) and watch what I do with it.

The wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

brodie is the worst GM in the history of Earth

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:14 am 
Legend of NYFS

tejdog1 wrote:
Here's the thing tho, most of these deals include college education as well. So it's not like it's just a bonus.

And I'm sorry, please give me $1.5m (700k ish after taxes) as a lump sum when I'm 18 (2002) and watch what I do with it.

College education where? And when? And maybe a kid doesn't want to be the 25 year old in the school of continuing education.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:18 am 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:

College education where? And when? And maybe a kid doesn't want to be the 25 year old in the school of continuing education.

You might also want to figure out baseball isn't going to be your career when you're 22 instead of when you're 27.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:04 pm 
Blue Chipper

You can really only ever say what you think you would do. If I were a pitcher I'd be more inclined to jump on that bonus. But there are a lot of factors. If you feel like you are still improving you might want to take a chance on a bigger pay day. Or you may want the college experience and education.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next