MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019 NYM Draft: Round 1, Pick 12: Brett Baty
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:01 pm 
NYFS Staff

Didn't think he'd reach us. Was therefore not even on my radar. Good high ceiling pick. Maybe a bit of cost savings...?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:38 am 
Veteran Presence

Wouldn't have been my choice, but the swing does look great. Would obviously make the path easier if he can stick at 3rd base.

I do think there's more risk (relative to any other pick) in taking a high school player who turns 20 in five months.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:03 am 
General Manager

Liking the big power potential

Given the age and the maturity of his hitting skills - I wonder if he’ll be on a much faster track than normal HS picks (even top rated ones)

Usually I’m in favor 40-50 games at a level before promoting (if performing at a high level)

15-20 games at a level .. until he gets to high A might be right for him

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:19 am 
NYFS Staff

tdawg14 wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
I like the bat, but on the downside, it looks like he's going to struggle to play 3B. It looks like a 1B profile. He already looks like he's slow, is stretched athletically and doesn't have quick reflexes. So, my biggest concern would be that if he adds weight it becomes a bigger problem, so first I hope he doesn't add much weight. Next, I hope he can be passable in an OF corner. All that said, the bat is potentially pretty special. So mixed bag for me. I think we're gonna regret passing Rutledge.

DH May be in the NL by the time he makes it to the bigs. Just a thought

Good point. But Cano will be blocking him. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:42 am 
Veteran Presence

bygranddesign wrote:
Liking the big power potential

Given the age and the maturity of his hitting skills - I wonder if he’ll be on a much faster track than normal HS picks (even top rated ones)

Usually I’m in favor 40-50 games at a level before promoting (if performing at a high level)

15-20 games at a level .. until he gets to high A might be right for him

Per "a scout" who wanted his team to pick the guy:
Quote:
"I thought he'd get to us because the age thing was an issue for some teams, but the Mets recognized the talent. I never saw his age as a factor because he should move up the ladder quickly. I could see him in the big leagues in two or three years."

https://www.sny.tv/mets/news/scout-brea ... 307715706/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:45 am 
Legend of NYFS

Projecting a HSer to the big leagues in 2-3 years is like those quotes from scouts every year about the top college relievers, who could "pitch in the big leagues this year!!!"

In fact, I'm sure there was a quote about like Gilliam last year to that regard.

So getting in the real world, lets just hope they start him in Columbia next year and go from there.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:47 am 
Veteran Presence

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Projecting a HSer to the big leagues in 2-3 years is like those quotes from scouts every year about the top college relievers, who could "pitch in the big leagues this year!!!"

In fact, I'm sure there was a quote about like Gilliam last year to that regard.

So getting in the real world, lets just hope they start him in Columbia next year and go from there.

Certainly. Feels like the Kelenic path is the plan. Short-season ball, A ball, with the hope he rakes and gets a mid-year promotion to high-A. Now, if he really succeeds there, that 2-3 year projection is not overly optimistic. Half a year in AA, and he might get a cup of coffee in year three.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:55 am 
Everyday Player

MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Well there's some guy who's not a Met you may have heard of who was similarly old when drafted, and it's looking like 2-3 years is a pretty good estimate of from when he was drafted to when he'll debut in the majors.

If Baty's bat is as advanced as described then hopefully he'll hit well enough to get a bump to Kingsport later in the year and a Cola start next year. After that, who knows?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:42 am 
Legend of NYFS

Hot Takes wrote:
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Well there's some guy who's not a Met you may have heard of who was similarly old when drafted, and it's looking like 2-3 years is a pretty good estimate of from when he was drafted to when he'll debut in the majors.

If Baty's bat is as advanced as described then hopefully he'll hit well enough to get a bump to Kingsport later in the year and a Cola start next year. After that, who knows?

2016 draft was exactly 3 years ago now. Want to guess how many HS picks have made it to the majors?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:44 pm 
NYFS Staff

jdawginsc wrote:
Didn't think he'd reach us. Was therefore not even on my radar. Good high ceiling pick. Maybe a bit of cost savings...?

I didn't see any mocks with Baty in the top 11. In fact, I didn't see Baty in any mocks in the first round at all. Was he highly regarded? Where did BA have him? He was at the draft, though. so he somehow knew he would be drafted. Kinda confusing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:56 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Dog wrote:
jdawginsc wrote:

I didn't see any mocks with Baty in the top 11. In fact, I didn't see Baty in any mocks in the first round at all. Was he highly regarded? Where did BA have him? He was at the draft, though. so he somehow knew he would be drafted. Kinda confusing.

The late buzz had him going to Texas at 8, and there was some crazy talk about him going to the White Sox at 3.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:04 pm 
Veteran Presence

Haven't seen this mentioned, and maybe it's too on the nose, but you've got to like a hitter with "Bat" in his name (yes, I know it's pronounced Bay-tee).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next