MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2019 NYM Draft: Round 1, Pick 12: Brett Baty
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:44 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I like the bat, but on the downside, it looks like he's going to struggle to play 3B. It looks like a 1B profile. He already looks like he's slow, is stretched athletically and doesn't have quick reflexes. So, my biggest concern would be that if he adds weight it becomes a bigger problem, so first I hope he doesn't add much weight. Next, I hope he can be passable in an OF corner. All that said, the bat is potentially pretty special. So mixed bag for me. I think we're gonna regret passing Rutledge.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:46 pm 
NYFS Staff

R Nitelight wrote:
Wonder if they're going to save some money here.

That's not a complaint.

8)

He was mocked at a price point of about $2M cheaper. Hopefully they split the baby and have an extra $1M to work with. Wishful thinking, probably.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:47 pm 
Legend of NYFS

TheUpperDeck wrote:
Seems fine. Did anyone have him linked to us?

Mayo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:48 pm 
Everyday Player

HeyNowHK wrote:
I like the bat, but on the downside, it looks like he's going to struggle to play 3B. It looks like a 1B profile. He already looks like he's slow, is stretched athletically and doesn't have quick reflexes. So, my biggest concern would be that if he adds weight it becomes a bigger problem, so first I hope he doesn't add much weight. Next, I hope he can be passable in an OF corner. All that said, the bat is potentially pretty special. So mixed bag for me. I think we're gonna regret passing Rutledge.

DH May be in the NL by the time he makes it to the bigs. Just a thought

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:53 pm 
NYFS Staff

HeyNowHK wrote:

Certainly a possibility about his defense but there has been some thought from scouts and experts that he could stay at third as well. Amazin Avenue just posted this on their report of him:

Quote:
Defensively, Baty is still a capable third baseman and has a good chance of sticking there. His arm is above average and plays well at the hot corner, but there are some concerns that he could grow out of the position. Those concerns haven’t manifested themselves yet, however, and as long as he doesn’t let his body slip out of shape and lose athleticism, he should be able to remain an average defender at third.

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2019/6/3/18651431/mlb-draft-mets-2019-pick-brett-baty-first-round-new-york

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:00 pm 
NYFS Staff

He averaged 12 and 6 in 24.7 minutes/game on the basketball court on a team that went 33-5.

Here he is rocking the rim:
Link

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:09 pm 
Rookie

HeyNowHK wrote:

Agree with this for the most part. I also probably would have gone with Rutledge and I'd also like to see them try him in an OF corner. We really don't have anything in the OF pipeline, whereas we have Gimenez, Vientos, and Mauricio in the IF. Still mostly fine with it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:32 pm 
Legend of NYFS

TheUpperDeck wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:

Agree with this for the most part. I also probably would have gone with Rutledge and I'd also like to see them try him in an OF corner. We really don't have anything in the OF pipeline, whereas we have Gimenez, Vientos, and Mauricio in the IF. Still mostly fine with it.

I know the 'if everything comes together' scenario is he turns into Alex Kiriloff and that would be something incredible bc Kiriloff is going to be a monster, but I'm not going to hold my breath on that outcome. But I acknowledge that's the rosy forecast.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:39 pm 
Veteran Presence

He’s pretty old, too (for a HSer).

The bat will have to carry him. Push comes to shove, I don’t think it will. I hope I’m wrong, because lefty mashers are sweeeeet. Here’s to hoping it does.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:25 pm 
Fan Favorite

That’s a decent pick

Where Are my Shades!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you build from within, we will WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never underestimate the HEART OF A MAVERICK AND A CHAMPION!!!!!!!!!!!!! It won’t matter what we do . We are the Mets it won’t work out!!!! No matter what we do, as long as we are owned by the COUPONS we will always be cursed. #CouponCurse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:38 pm 
NYFS Staff

Brett the Met! His tee-ball nickname will have to make a comeback.

https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/1135712250529013763

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:45 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

His bat reminds of a poor mans Freeman, without the bat speed.

"I think the best owners always are the ones who understand that they really don't own the team. The fans own the team. For a period of time, you are a steward, and you'll be judged on how well you manage that."
- Warriors COO Rick Welts

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next