MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Way Too Early 2022 Draft Predictions
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 9:42 am 
Legend of NYFS

It's a non-stop draft I could live with.

At some point you have to acknowledge they know more than we do.

Last year's draft was a head-scratcher and all they've done is strike out a million opposing hitters.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 10:31 am 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:
It's a non-stop draft I could live with.

At some point you have to acknowledge they know more than we do.

Last year's draft was a head-scratcher and all they've done is strike out a million opposing hitters.

8)

I'm curious who they were eyeing to draft if Rocker hadn't fallen to them. It seemed that Rocker was a surprise when their pick came up.

Go Mets!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:50 am 
All Star

Pitching, Pitching, Pitching.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:23 am 
Franchise Player

Thejurisdoc wrote:
Thejurisdoc wrote:
Brock Jones is on a 10 game hitting streak with thunder.

Last 10 games: 18-for-39, 2 Doubles, 1 Triple, 6 Home Runs, 6 Walks, 2-for-2 stolen bases.

As a reminder, he plays center field and is a very good athlete (former Stanford football walk-on safety) and has a good chance to stick in center.

I'm still hoping he can be had in the 2nd round.

Jones has now hit safely in 16 of his last 18 games and has a .308 / .451 / .626 slash line on the season, which is very close to what he posted last year as a sophomore. He's still the guy I'm hoping the Mets get in the 2nd.

Brock Jones has collected 9 more hits since my last post on him. 4 of those hits were homeruns, and he now has 8 home runs in his past 8 games. I wonder if he has played himself back into the first round.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:27 am 
Franchise Player

Keith Law has a podcast and had Jonathan Mayo on from MLB.com to discuss the upcoming draft. Not a bad listen:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 1499877854

I'll share three things that jumped out to me: (1) both think that Druw Jones is the industry-consensus #1 pick, but draft pools being a thing, think another player *may* go #1 for less money. (2) Mayo thinks that teams will still be skittish on the high school arms and thinks that teams will look for safer picks in the back half of the first round, potentially setting up a run of overslot deals for high school arms in the second. (3) Both Law and Mayo seem to have heard links between Connor Prielipp and the Mets at #14 - this was a passing comment so they didn't get into it beyond one statement.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:31 am 
Franchise Player

Also, speaking of Prielipp, he threw a bullpen session for scouts on Monday, but I have yet to see much in the way of reporting. The only article I've seen is this one:

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/st ... 902093002/

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:47 am 
Franchise Player

New mock from MLB.com (Jim Callis):

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-mock-draft ... on-offense

Quote:
11. Mets: Daniel Susac, C, Arizona (No. 11)
(compensation pick for failure to sign 2021 first-rounder Kumar Rocker)
The Mets might be tempted to break the run on position players, but it makes more strategic sense to grab one of the top remaining college bats here and snag an arm they like three selections later.

Quote:
14. Mets: Brock Porter, RHP, Orchard Lake (Mich.) St. Mary's Prep (No. 10)
If another of the top college hitters got this far, the Mets could double up on them. If that doesn't happen, they could turn to a prep pitcher such as Porter, right-hander Dylan Lesko from Georgia or fast-rising lefty Robby Snelling from Nevada.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:50 am 
Franchise Player

And still another new mock draft, from Baseball Prospect Journal:

https://baseballprospectjournal.com/202 ... draft-4-0/

Quote:
11. New York Mets: Daniel Susac, C, Arizona

Susac is a 6-foot-4, 205-pound right-handed-hitting catcher who is an advanced player in all aspects of the game. Offensively, Susac projects as a middle-of-the-order bat with above-average power and hitting ability. He uses a simple setup at the plate and drives the ball to all parts of the field.

Quote:
14. New York Mets: Connor Prielipp, LHP, Alabama

Prielipp, a Wisconsin native, has hardly pitched in his college career. He recently threw a bullpen session for scouts, marking the first time he has pitched since April 2021 due to Tommy John surgery.

Scouts rave about Prielipp’s potential. If he was healthy and dominating opposing hitters, he would be in the mix to go first overall. Scouts believe he has the chance to be the first pitcher selected in this year’s draft. The Mets are a team to watch due to their two first-round picks and plenty of signing bonus money.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:06 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I’m onboard with these picks. I don’t care if Alvarez is the org’s top prospect… an advanced catcher sounds like good use of a 1st rd pick to me. And using the #14 for a high ceiling arm makes sense to me too.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:51 pm 
Prospect

corydd7 wrote:
I have to much time on my hand at least for now so I will be following the draft in depth this year. Really interesting to see how they use their multiple picks.

Jacob Berry is off to a hot start. He might not make it to #11 but if he does he is my guy. Big bat if he can play OF it will help his stock.

Cam Collier is a large hit over power 17 year old with MLB bloodlines. Not sure of bonus demands but he is the only HS bat I like for the Mets in the first round.

Brock Jones athletic OF should stick in center raw but has legit bat and speed. Strikes out to often but quit Stanford football team to focus on baseball. Slow start only a couple games in but I think he has a big year. He also walks a lot.

Gavin Cross corner OF for VT. Had a big year but not a guy I've watched a ton of yet. He should go first half of first round so definitely a guy I will watch going forward.

Jace Jung
Brooks Lee
Chase DeLauter

Are three guys I see going before 11 so I'm not spending time on them yet either.

One college hitter I don't like is Robert Moore. Undersized second basemen, dad is royals GM. I just don't see an above average tool. Don't see a guy you take in the first maybe I'm missing something but he is a guy I pass on.

Wanted to review my first post. Was right and wrong about things so far. Berry still my guy at 11 or 14 if he I there.
DeLauter also is an easy pick for me at 11 or 14. Lots of baseball people have dropped him, I think he is still top 10 talent.

Bing nailed Collier he has rocketed up boards

Bing nailed overrated Moore

I for some reason don't like Gavin Cross. Not sure why but he is a pass for me

Was wrong on Dylan Beavers. Not a guy i would touch. I didn't list him but I thought he was a guy who went top 15. Don't like his hit profile at all.

Brock Jones was horrible for the first half of the year. Truthfully I have not watched him yet for one reason or another. Soon I will, he is one of the hottest hitters in the country and is 1-3 tonight already with 2rbi. K rate is scary. For me college guys with high k rates are a red flag. Very interesting guy. If he slips to the second sure. Please not in the first.

Peyton Graham besides Jones is the guy that has me torn. That said I think i would reach at 14 for him. Not a guy I liked pre season. I like him now, after a slow slow just like Brock Jones he is lighting it up. He has all the tools, all the ability to change his body, upside at center or third, also probably at a price underslot. He strikes out to much but has a feel for hitting and immense upside do to his 6'4 170 build. Watching him in 10 games this year 170 is accurate lol. Christian Yelich is his ceiling. Same exact body type, same upside same concern. Fangraphs are the only scouting website that was high on h pre season. He is a 20/20guy if (and it's a big if) he could hit .270 at the mlb level. He has the same swing in miss concerns as Brock Jones, that's the big red flag for me but everything else I'm a fan.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:27 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

corydd7 wrote:
I for some reason don't like Gavin Cross. Not sure why but he is a pass for me

I've read that scouts agree he has a plus (near elite) hit tool but lacks discipline.

Sort of like the Angels Garret Anderson and Darin Erstad who did win a championship together.

But neither was ever a top offensive weapon because they'd rather hit an outside pitch hoping for a hit rather than taking the pitch and thus always had poor OBP's.

Chase is more complex because of a swing (apparently) that some scouts don't love.

Both are interesting for us with the 2 1st rounders

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:36 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

corydd7 wrote:
For me college guys with high k rates are a red flag.

Yeah although I also look at BB rates and that can sway me.

I remember not liking Aaron Judge and was incredibly wrong about him obviously.

BTW-
What's your take on Cross wrt his ultra aggression and with Chase's swing?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 18  Next