MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Say Hey!
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:50 am 
Legend of NYFS

Happy 89th to national treasure, the Say Hey kid!!!

Post subject: Re: Say Hey!
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 4:48 pm 
Rookie

Best player not named Babe Ruth. Happy belated birthday Willie!

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:27 pm 
Legend of NYFS

How well is it known that if Willie hadn't taken time off for military service, that he would have been right there with Hank chasing #714. He might have even gotten there first. He missed 10 months because he was drafted.

Lots of players gave up time in military service and would have better career stats, but I think a home run race around 1972 to catch Babe Ruth would have been very interesting to watch. A fun "what might have been".

Ricky Henderson would never have caught Ted Williams in walks if Williams had played through and not lost over 4 years to military service. It's possible Bonds would be below Williams in that category too. Ted would have a good chance at being the all time runs scored leader as well, but who cares about those stats. Ted's career stats would be ridiculous if he played through. Just ludicrous.

The Homer stat is the biggest stat in baseball though, so I think Willie's career homers is more interesting.

I saw Hanks #715 by the way. We tuned in and watched it as a family. It was big news at the time. Didn't bother to watch Bonds chase and beat the record.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:28 pm 
Franchise Player

SNESandMets wrote:

Bonds and Ruth probably had the most productive careers in MLB history, but both played in eras that gave them huge advantages that Mays did not have (Bonds being the king of the steroid era and Ruth playing in one of the least competitive periods in MLB history).

Add in that Mays missed his age 22 season to military service, only to return as a 23-year-old with a batting line that Mike Trout would be jealous of, and I think it's fair to say that Mays was probably the best player in MLB history.

Here's a neat comparison:

Code:
Name     2B    3B    HR    SB       Triple Slash
Mays    241    85   295   211   .323/.395/.601/.997   164 OPS+
Trout   245    46   280   196   .308/.422/.587/1.009  179 OPS+

That's Mays first 7 seasons after returning from the military (age 23-30) and Trout's first full 7 seasons (age 20-27). And both of them did it while playing one of the most difficult defensive positions.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 3:30 pm 
Franchise Player

LTKfRGM wrote:
How well is it known that if Willie hadn't taken time off for military service, that he would have been right there with Hank chasing #714. He might have even gotten there first. He missed 10 months because he was drafted.

Lots of players gave up time in military service and would have better career stats, but I think a home run race around 1972 to catch Babe Ruth would have been very interesting to watch. A fun "what might have been".

Ricky Henderson would never have caught Ted Williams in walks if Williams had played through and not lost over 4 years to military service. It's possible Bonds would be below Williams in that category too. Ted would have a good chance at being the all time runs scored leader as well, but who cares about those stats. Ted's career stats would be ridiculous if he played through. Just ludicrous.

The Homer stat is the biggest stat in baseball though, so I think Willie's career homers is more interesting.

I saw Hanks #715 by the way. We tuned in and watched it as a family. It was big news at the time. Didn't bother to watch Bonds chase and beat the record.

You didn't want to watch ex-Met Mike Bacsik lob batting practice to Bonds to be in the record books?

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:26 am 
Legend of NYFS

SNESandMets wrote:

Mike Trout.

The wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

brodie is the worst GM in the history of Earth

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 6:49 am 
Legend of NYFS

Metsfan980 wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:
Didn't bother to watch Bonds chase and beat the record.

You didn't want to watch ex-Met Mike Bacsik lob batting practice to Bonds to be in the record books?

Not only didn't watch it, I didn't remember it. :-)

I'll be honest though. When McGuire hit 70, I cheered. By the time Bonds was setting records, I'd lost all interest. They both did the same thing, so, maybe not fair to Bonds, who was twice the player McGuire was, but timing is important. It was kind of fun for a little while seeing the silly numbers.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 3:23 pm 
Veteran Presence

LTKfRGM wrote:
I saw Hanks #715 by the way. We tuned in and watched it as a family. It was big news at the time.

I watched it, too. I think ABC broadcast the game nationwide as a Monday Night Baseball game. I was living on Long Island at the time and remember it vividly. Great moment -- I was 8 years old at the time and baseball was life.