MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: MiLB Contraction
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:26 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 63449
HeyNowHK wrote:
That’s a lotta words that completely misses the point. Most people going to minor league baseball games do so because it’s the only professional baseball they have access to. It’s a form of family entertainment and thus it turns into being an entry point to the game for kids. As we know, in some cases that turns into a lifetime connection. It’s hard to say that will remain the same once you pull the ML affiliation away. So to me, it’s a small investment for a multi billion dollar business that helps grow the game. Contracting the minor leagues is only going to accelerate the game’s decline in popularity.


Jaffe's point was when independent ball replaced minor league ball in a specific community he was a part of, it didn't feel the same because the players who passed through weren't major leaguers. For the most part, thats going to be the same with the Pioneer and Appalachian league teams. Minor league baseball has changed a lot already. With teams' evaluation method evolving, the number of minor leaguers is outdated - quite frankly, part in parcel in draft strategies these days is taking a bunch of guys that by design have no chance to be anything more than rookie ball filler. Its a very silly system.

There is still WAY more access to profesional baseball in smaller communities, before and after this contraction, than any other sport. If baseball was reliant on these rookie leagues to grow their game, they need to reevaluate and wonder why other sports can grow interest even if theyre not physically present in rural areas. Relying on the Pioneer and Appalachian leagues for the future of the game was not going to be an effective strategy anyway. A much bigger issue is the completely nonsensical blackout and TV access restrictions - do away with that nonsense and the effect is tenfold larger than having rookie ball teams in remote areas.

We can debate obviously the reasons why MLB can't just increase the quality of the minor leagues without contracting the number of affiliates, but the bottom line is the minor league system has needed to be overhauled for a while, and if MLB sees the current system as 20% oversaturated/waste, and will improve the facilities, the geographic connections, the quality of life for the remaining 80%, while I feel bad for those 20% of communities who lose their teams, I think the good outweighs the bad. The "lost roster spots" are players who wouldn't be "professionals" in other sports based on the skill level required to be so in other sports without such an expansion farm system.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hilltop, Metsfan980 and 275 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


FIND AN AA MEETING | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL BEST SELLERS | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GET HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | VETERAN TIPS ON CRAFT DIY RECIPES | FIND ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB LOCAL NEW OR USED BOOK STORE | KNICKS BLOG FORUM BOARDS | © Untraditional Media