MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: June 1st Opening Day???
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 11:55 am 
Legend of NYFS

AllWrightNow wrote:
SergioTheLittleMan wrote:
I see zero recognition that this is going to continue to be a problem in 2021. People don't get it. There is nearly zero chance of any kind of real immunity, herd or vaccine, by Opening Day next year.

Which carries right into the next labor negotiation, oh joy.

I don't know if I'd put it at 'nearly zero'...Fauci himself said it was possible by the end of 2020, the entire world is marshaling resources looking for vaccines/treatments. We'll cross the bridge of no fans in ballparks next April if we go another ten months with status quo - but if that happens we'll have bigger problems as a society than whether there are fans in the park or not.

Yeah right now I’m concert about schools finding a way to open safely in the fall...

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:41 pm 
Rookie

The thing is even if there was a vaccine by the end of the year - which it is highly unlikely (though I love Fauci) you have to produce it, distribute it and then hope that people take it which many many won't, at least at the beginning. I'm as pro-science as they come but don't see me running out to take a rushed vaccine without further real world results / side effects coming to light. Beyond all that its unlikely to be 100% effective and even less so for older people. Bottom line is the best I van imagine is limited capacity, very social-distanced crowds in 2021 and the same issues with playing the season / keeping players safe, etc.

But at least we'll be rid of Cespedes.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 12:45 pm 
Everyday Player

Phils released TJ Rivera. If anything gets going at all this year, I take another look at him.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 3:08 pm 
MVP

Hi everyone!

I thought I would come on here and see how others were thinking. It's been a sad time for all of us and it sure would be nice to see some baseball this summer!

I have to say that to get it done, there will need to be sacrifices by both sides. Those "rich" owners are hanging on only because the stock market is artificially inflated, considering the present and future state of he economy, which will be dismal, at least until this virus passes, either through a viable vaccination or treatments that will help those who get sick. To that, I will add that no one knows how long immunity, whether acquired or through vaccination, will last (at least with a vaccination, one can get booster shots, if needed). So, it is a 100% given that the stock market will fall significantly at some point, especially if those promises of a quick vaccine are not delivered.....one can anticipate in that scenario the real possibility of a global depression. I will not get into politics, although politics does and will have an impact on how all of this eventually goes/winds up. Up to now, it hasn't been very pretty....

OK, lets get back to baseball. The way I see it, many of those rich owners are seeing losses in their respective businesses. If I were an owner today, considering the losses in my businesses and the artificial market, I would be VERY WORRIED. As an owner, I know I will lose money on the baseball operation, whether we play or not. But I also have to be concerned about maintaining the franchise; in fact, I would be concerned about maintaining INTEREST in the game and I would want to play those games at almost any cost. However, I would also expect the players to want the same thing and the ONLY way, I, as an owner, can put a team on the field is to limit my losses to the degree possible.

The players will not go bankrupt if they are paid less and for the GAME, they, as well as the owners, should look at the ultimate goal of keeping baseball alive. If the players ask for too much and the owners give in, the players may still be financially viable BUT many owners will, especially if things turn worse, face bankruptcy. One may say, "well they can sell the team." I ask, in this climate, who wants to own a baseball team that is dripping deeply with losses and financing becoming harder and harder to get?

For me, I really hope that both sides come to terms. For once, the owners need to be transparent and hope that the players come to understand the owners side. Without baseball, the players, the owners and we, the fans, will ALL LOSE. We may only have one chance at making this right and that time is NOW.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:21 pm 
Franchise Player

Joefrompgh wrote:
The players will not go bankrupt if they are paid less and for the GAME, they, as well as the owners, should look at the ultimate goal of keeping baseball alive. If the players ask for too much and the owners give in, the players may still be financially viable BUT many owners will, especially if things turn worse, face bankruptcy. One may say, "well they can sell the team." I ask, in this climate, who wants to own a baseball team that is dripping deeply with losses and financing becoming harder and harder to get?

For me, I really hope that both sides come to terms. For once, the owners need to be transparent and hope that the players come to understand the owners side. Without baseball, the players, the owners and we, the fans, will ALL LOSE. We may only have one chance at making this right and that time is NOW.

The problem is that the proposal from the owners and league was specifically designed to create division in the MLBPA.

It wasn't about facing a financial reality; they took a chance to capitalize on this situation to further erode the player's union.

They know that if they players say no and walk away, then the spin will be that the players cancelled 2020, so they're using this as an opportunity to create division within the union to lower the asking power of players moving forward. They're also doing this while eliminating a ton of minor league jobs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:56 pm 
Legend of NYFS

PA submitted a 114 game counter-proposal late yesterday apparently. This shnizzle has to get decided like this week and the sides are very far apart.

If this is a trial balloon on how the owners are going to approach the next cba negotiation, then I’m not hopeful at all for the future of this league. They don’t really seem to give a flap about the integrity of this sport.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:04 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

I guess the title of this thread was too optimistic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:31 pm 
Franchise Player

RIP 2020 baseball season

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:26 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Owners now agree to pro rata , propose shorter reg season which so happens to create a mid point of...82 games (back to original proposal).

This will get hammered out this week.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 9:03 pm 
Franchise Player

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Owners now agree to pro rata , propose shorter reg season which so happens to create a mid point of...82 games (back to original proposal).

WOOHOO! Baseball cannot afford to not have a season.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:14 am 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yes please!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:58 am 
General Manager

MarkJohnson>You wrote:

That doesn’t mean the sides are any closer. The owners shorter regular season without pay cuts is pretty much the same thing as their 80-game one with pay cuts financially. The midpoint is not just games played, the midpoint is much much longer away from a financial standpoint than a GP standpoint

50 games no pay cuts
110 games no pay cuts

Is more than twice the expense in a season with severely compromised revenue to begin with, a long bridge to cross for two sides that hate each other.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 26  Next