MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 26  Next
 Post subject: Re: June 1st Opening Day???
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:31 pm 
General Manager

Disco Ball wrote:
I suspect that two things are dawning on both sides. The first is the realization that this isn't 1994. Back then there was no mass unemployment, no thousands reported dead from a virus, and no cities in flames. To walk away from a season based on who gets the bigger slice of an enormous pie is akin to rubbing salt into a gaping wound (how's that for mixing metaphors?)

The second is that no season probably means a deep freeze on roster moves in the offseason. Oh sure a few key FAs will land contracts but lots of guys might start next spring on the unemployment line, or be forced to take minor league contracts. And forget endorsements. Baseball and baseball players will become radioactive. For the teams, those advertisers that survived last summer without spending on baseball will no doubt be scrutinizing the impact. Plus will they want to advertise with a low-life sport such as MLB? Are the in-stadium advertisers going to get a make-good?

They'll play this year. After all, both sides want to keep their powder dry for the fight that is coming after 2021.

You would hope logic kicks in but I really fear that there's enough hard-liners on both sides that would rather risk killing the sport as opposed to compromise.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:32 pm 
Franchise Player

Baseball can never die. The games were played. If something was, it still is, so long as we care about it.

The Mets may never take the field again. Blue pinstripes slowly bleeding off the white field. Brilliant orange only memory. The little brother of New York, now grown and died, buried next to those who played before.

Time is measured in innings and innings are measured in outs and outs are measured by a batter’s patience and a pitcher’s skill and the brave fielders behind him. And if there is an Ump to keep track, the game can be infinite. No one plays forever, but there will be a game tomorrow, whether I’m there to watch it or not. And while I have yet to accept this, I know it true. The game is not played for me, but if I happen to see it and enjoy, the game does not begrudge. It only is. The splendor and the audacious. Failure and success. The infinite game played by finite souls.

Set me like a seal upon thy heart,
For love is as strong as death.

And baseball is love. (I added that part :) )

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:48 am 
Legend of NYFS

I'm ready for 2021.

I think you hurt baseball more by playing a short season with game show rules.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:14 am 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Nice sentiments MikeH, but I think I'm with nitey on this one.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:58 pm 
Everyday Player

TomInNC wrote:

While I could care less why the board gadfly thinks this is a bad idea, I am interested in your take. 'plain. Please!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:43 pm 

Disco Ball wrote:
TomInNC wrote:

While I could care less why the board gadfly thinks this is a bad idea, I am interested in your take. 'plain. Please!

A half season, I think I can get into. But 50 games, because they can't get along, with new rules forced on the game (NL DH, more interleague, etc) all to get to an expanded post season so they can make more money. That interests me a lot less. It's a glorified spring training. 50 games may as well be a winter league.

Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 6:23 pm 
Legend of NYFS

R Nitelight wrote:
I'm ready for 2021.

I think you hurt baseball more by playing a short season with game show rules.

8)

The only hard rule change I’ve seen is the most obviously needed rule change in all of pro sports.

If we’re talking scheduling and roster size , it’s pretty easy to see the connection to the current environment versus planning for something long term.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:55 pm 
Legend of NYFS

TomInNC wrote:

A half season, I think I can get into. But 50 games, because they can't get along, with new rules forced on the game (NL DH, more interleague, etc) all to get to an expanded post season so they can make more money. That interests me a lot less. It's a glorified spring training. 50 games may as well be a winter league.

Just my opinion.

50 games, and no new cases of the virus would be fine with me. Better than a missed season.

The worst outcome is carelessness and a few players catch and spread the pandemic. But I'd take 50 games. It's be wierd, but I'd still like to see baseball this year.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:29 am 

With just 50 games I can see more players skipping the season rather than risking their families.

As for me, I'd just as soon wait for next year. Hopefully have a vaccine and have a normal season.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:42 pm 
Franchise Player

I don't have any evidence to support this thought, but I think that the big financial losses for teams this season may push some teams to cutting a lot of payroll moving forward. Specifically, I think the Phillies may let some of their free agents go (Realmuto) and maybe even trade some talent to have a slimmer payroll in 2021 and beyond.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:10 pm 

Metsfan980 wrote:
I don't have any evidence to support this thought, but I think that the big financial losses for teams this season may push some teams to cutting a lot of payroll moving forward. Specifically, I think the Phillies may let some of their free agents go (Realmuto) and maybe even trade some talent to have a slimmer payroll in 2021 and beyond.

You may be right and I fear a large war is about to begin with the CBA ending next year.

Oh joy!!

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:55 pm 
General Manager

Daaaarryyl wrote:
Metsfan980 wrote:

You may be right and I fear a large war is about to begin with the CBA ending next year.

Oh joy!!

The war's already started lol

https://twitter.com/MLBPA_News/status/1 ... 80002?s=20

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 303 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 26  Next