MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: All Baseball Operations suspended indefinetly
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:36 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:56 pm
Posts: 63449
Been watching these MLB THE Show simulations that SNY has been linking to (not sure who's running them but guessing they're going to keep doing these at times of actual games?) and the Mets are 0-2, having lost both games in extras so far.

The biggest thing I've taken away from them is the use of guys like Walker Lockett in high leverage relief, Jarrett Parker and Eduardo Nunez on the bench, Jake Marisnick starting (Conforto is still hurt in these fake games I guess)...makes me think as much as I want baseball in 2020, it may not be the worst thing if we get another crack at making a roster before we start playing again...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: All Baseball Operations suspended indefinetly
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:25 pm 
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 1:33 pm
Posts: 558
LTKfRGM wrote:
TheUpperDeck wrote:
I'm sure this has been said elsewhere, but I really dislike the idea of cutting the draft to just 5 rounds. Seems like it will make it easier to transition to a smaller minor league system...


I'm sure that's a big part of it, though I understand reducing the draft given the lack of scouting. It's going to be a strange draft with much less information than usual.

They're cutting the 2021 draft to 20 rounds, which seems wrong given how stacked that draft could be. Owners trying to get draft picks cheaper is at the heart of that I think, and the smaller minor league system too. Bad time to be a draft prospect.


Still don't understand (or at least really dislike) the apparent dedication to cutting down on investing on amateur talent...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: All Baseball Operations suspended indefinetly
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:35 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:56 pm
Posts: 29949
Location: Danbury, CT
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Been watching these MLB THE Show simulations that SNY has been linking to (not sure who's running them but guessing they're going to keep doing these at times of actual games?) and the Mets are 0-2, having lost both games in extras so far.

The biggest thing I've taken away from them is the use of guys like Walker Lockett in high leverage relief, Jarrett Parker and Eduardo Nunez on the bench, Jake Marisnick starting (Conforto is still hurt in these fake games I guess)...makes me think as much as I want baseball in 2020, it may not be the worst thing if we get another crack at making a roster before we start playing again...


And what makes you think try number... uh hang on I've lost count
15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21... seven with the decrepit failed 2015 core will be the one we stick it?

_________________
Terry Collins cost the Mets a World Series title.

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

brodie is the worst GM in human history

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: All Baseball Operations suspended indefinetly
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:11 pm 
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:09 am
Posts: 14357
Location: Somebody's stolen my avatar
TheUpperDeck wrote:

Still don't understand (or at least really dislike) the apparent dedication to cutting down on investing on amateur talent...


I agree with you. I'm not a fan of what MLB is doing.

_________________
Go Mets.
Good luck Zach Wheeler. You're the only Phillie I like.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: All Baseball Operations suspended indefinetly
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:22 pm 
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:29 pm
Posts: 599
I completely understand this season cutting the draft to 5 rounds... I don’t understand why they need to do it next season other then prepping for the reduction of MiLB teams.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: All Baseball Operations suspended indefinetly
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:00 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Franchise Player

Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:46 pm
Posts: 3443
TheUpperDeck wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:
TheUpperDeck wrote:
I'm sure this has been said elsewhere, but I really dislike the idea of cutting the draft to just 5 rounds. Seems like it will make it easier to transition to a smaller minor league system...


I'm sure that's a big part of it, though I understand reducing the draft given the lack of scouting. It's going to be a strange draft with much less information than usual.

They're cutting the 2021 draft to 20 rounds, which seems wrong given how stacked that draft could be. Owners trying to get draft picks cheaper is at the heart of that I think, and the smaller minor league system too. Bad time to be a draft prospect.


Still don't understand (or at least really dislike) the apparent dedication to cutting down on investing on amateur talent...


I don't get it. Draft with the understanding that there may not be a MiLB season.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: All Baseball Operations suspended indefinetly
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:38 am 
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:29 pm
Posts: 599
MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Been watching these MLB THE Show simulations that SNY has been linking to (not sure who's running them but guessing they're going to keep doing these at times of actual games?) and the Mets are 0-2, having lost both games in extras so far.

The biggest thing I've taken away from them is the use of guys like Walker Lockett in high leverage relief, Jarrett Parker and Eduardo Nunez on the bench, Jake Marisnick starting (Conforto is still hurt in these fake games I guess)...makes me think as much as I want baseball in 2020, it may not be the worst thing if we get another crack at making a roster before we start playing again...


0-4 now.... how long before the fire Rojas tweets start?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: All Baseball Operations suspended indefinetly
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:57 am 
User avatar
Offline
Legend of NYFS

Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 am
Posts: 30066
Location: NYC
stevereiff wrote:
I completely understand this season cutting the draft to 5 rounds... I don’t understand why they need to do it next season other then prepping for the reduction of MiLB teams.

I thought it would be just for the upcoming draft.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: All Baseball Operations suspended indefinetly
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:16 pm 
Offline
Rookie

Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:29 pm
Posts: 599
HeyNowHK wrote:
stevereiff wrote:
I completely understand this season cutting the draft to 5 rounds... I don’t understand why they need to do it next season other then prepping for the reduction of MiLB teams.

I thought it would be just for the upcoming draft.


They can reduce next years draft down to 20 rounds.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: All Baseball Operations suspended indefinetly
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:10 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 am
Posts: 8640
I'm drunk, bored, worried and (much less important) PO'd there's no sports to watch.

So, it's time for my all time favorite trivia question for anyone as bored (or drunk) as me lol:


Tommy Lasorda is the godfather of which former MLB catcher:

A-Alex Avila

B-Mike Piazza

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:


"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: All Baseball Operations suspended indefinetly
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:50 pm 
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:45 pm
Posts: 8882
A


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: All Baseball Operations suspended indefinetly
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:05 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:55 am
Posts: 8640
TomInNC wrote:
A


Yep. Great job.




Alex Avila's grandfather was a Dodger scout and good friend of Lasorda's. His grandson Alex Thomas Avila is Lasorda's godson and holds a middle name after him.

Mike Piazza's brother, Tommy (named after Lasorda) is also a Godson of his.


He is NOT Mike's Godfather,

_________________
MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:


"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], monkeysuncle and 229 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group


FIND AN AA MEETING | SUICIDE DEPRESSION ADDICTION HELP | BOOK REVIEWS EDITORIAL BEST SELLERS | LOCAL DOCTORS HOSPITAL EMERGENCY CARE | LOCAL LIVE MUSIC OPEN MIC JAM | FIND YOUR CONGRESSMAN AND WHERE TO VOTE | WOMEN VETERANS HELP SUPPORT | PET FRIENDLY PARKS HOTELS | SOLAR WIND RENEWABLE POWER | FILE TAX RETURN ATTORNEY | 4G SEO SMART PHONES TABLET WEB | BIRTHDAY PARTY RENTAL CHARACTERS | HOMES APARTMENTS FOR SALE OR RENT | SPORT COURT GYM FITNESS CLUB TRACK FIELD | GET HEALTH LIFE AUTO HOME INSURANCE QUOTE | VETERAN TIPS ON CRAFT DIY RECIPES | FIND ATM BRANCH CONSOLIDATION STUDENT CREDIT LOAN RATES | LOCAL NEWS AND RSS FEEDS | CHRISTMAS BLACK FRIDAY BACK TO SCHOOL SALE | LATEST E NEWS ON MOVIES TV GAMES GIFTS BOOKS | LAST MINUTE ANNIVERSARY BIRTHDAY HOUSE WARMING GIFTS | LOCAL ARTS CRAFTS SUPPLY STORE | LOCAL LINKS TO RESTAURANTS AIRPORTS DRUG STORES | DRUG OXY OPIATE ALCOHOL PHYSICAL REHAB LOCAL NEW OR USED BOOK STORE | KNICKS BLOG FORUM BOARDS | © Untraditional Media