MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: All Baseball Operations suspended indefinetly
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:36 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Been watching these MLB THE Show simulations that SNY has been linking to (not sure who's running them but guessing they're going to keep doing these at times of actual games?) and the Mets are 0-2, having lost both games in extras so far.

The biggest thing I've taken away from them is the use of guys like Walker Lockett in high leverage relief, Jarrett Parker and Eduardo Nunez on the bench, Jake Marisnick starting (Conforto is still hurt in these fake games I guess)...makes me think as much as I want baseball in 2020, it may not be the worst thing if we get another crack at making a roster before we start playing again...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:25 pm 
Rookie

LTKfRGM wrote:
TheUpperDeck wrote:
I'm sure this has been said elsewhere, but I really dislike the idea of cutting the draft to just 5 rounds. Seems like it will make it easier to transition to a smaller minor league system...

I'm sure that's a big part of it, though I understand reducing the draft given the lack of scouting. It's going to be a strange draft with much less information than usual.

They're cutting the 2021 draft to 20 rounds, which seems wrong given how stacked that draft could be. Owners trying to get draft picks cheaper is at the heart of that I think, and the smaller minor league system too. Bad time to be a draft prospect.

Still don't understand (or at least really dislike) the apparent dedication to cutting down on investing on amateur talent...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:35 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
Been watching these MLB THE Show simulations that SNY has been linking to (not sure who's running them but guessing they're going to keep doing these at times of actual games?) and the Mets are 0-2, having lost both games in extras so far.

The biggest thing I've taken away from them is the use of guys like Walker Lockett in high leverage relief, Jarrett Parker and Eduardo Nunez on the bench, Jake Marisnick starting (Conforto is still hurt in these fake games I guess)...makes me think as much as I want baseball in 2020, it may not be the worst thing if we get another crack at making a roster before we start playing again...

And what makes you think try number... uh hang on I've lost count
15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21... seven with the decrepit failed 2015 core will be the one we stick it?

The Wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

brodie is the worst GM in human history

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:11 pm 
Legend of NYFS

TheUpperDeck wrote:

Still don't understand (or at least really dislike) the apparent dedication to cutting down on investing on amateur talent...

I agree with you. I'm not a fan of what MLB is doing.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:22 pm 
Rookie

I completely understand this season cutting the draft to 5 rounds... I don’t understand why they need to do it next season other then prepping for the reduction of MiLB teams.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:00 pm 
Franchise Player

TheUpperDeck wrote:
LTKfRGM wrote:
TheUpperDeck wrote:
I'm sure this has been said elsewhere, but I really dislike the idea of cutting the draft to just 5 rounds. Seems like it will make it easier to transition to a smaller minor league system...

I'm sure that's a big part of it, though I understand reducing the draft given the lack of scouting. It's going to be a strange draft with much less information than usual.

They're cutting the 2021 draft to 20 rounds, which seems wrong given how stacked that draft could be. Owners trying to get draft picks cheaper is at the heart of that I think, and the smaller minor league system too. Bad time to be a draft prospect.

I don't get it. Draft with the understanding that there may not be a MiLB season.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:38 am 
Rookie

MarkJohnson>You wrote:

0-4 now.... how long before the fire Rojas tweets start?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:57 am 
Legend of NYFS

stevereiff wrote:
I completely understand this season cutting the draft to 5 rounds... I don’t understand why they need to do it next season other then prepping for the reduction of MiLB teams.

I thought it would be just for the upcoming draft.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:16 pm 
Rookie

HeyNowHK wrote:
stevereiff wrote:

I thought it would be just for the upcoming draft.

They can reduce next years draft down to 20 rounds.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:10 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

I'm drunk, bored, worried and (much less important) PO'd there's no sports to watch.

So, it's time for my all time favorite trivia question for anyone as bored (or drunk) as me lol:

Tommy Lasorda is the godfather of which former MLB catcher:

A-Alex Avila

B-Mike Piazza

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:50 pm 

A

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:05 pm 

TomInNC wrote:
A

Yep. Great job.

Alex Avila's grandfather was a Dodger scout and good friend of Lasorda's. His grandson Alex Thomas Avila is Lasorda's godson and holds a middle name after him.

Mike Piazza's brother, Tommy (named after Lasorda) is also a Godson of his.

He is NOT Mike's Godfather,

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next