MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: All Baseball Operations suspended indefinetly
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:09 pm 
Franchise Player

How long until the Astros weaponize it?

As much as I want to disagree, Sergio may be right. Until there is a vaccine, we have to practice social distancing. And that pretty much rules out any hope of playing baseball.

What happens when a player tests positive? He has to enter quarantine? Does the rest of the team? What happens when the Mets play the Braves and a third of the 40 man is in quarantine?

Until we can identify who is carrying, who has carried, and who has yet to carry, we are kinda stuck. Widespread, quick testing. That’s what we need.

And hopefully this is not a seasonal thing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:34 pm 
Legend of NYFS

SergioTheLittleMan wrote:
Picture they start the season in June or whatever and then one player gets infected and then it spreads to the team or another team (meetings at first base, etc). Then they still cancel the season. And that seems inevitable.

Dr. Fauci said in a Q&A today that once the numbers start trending down is when you can start seeing the return of normalcy and large gatherings because it becomes much easier to pinpoint who has it and it’s less likely for it to run rampant, especially because herd immunity will be built up with the more people that have gotten it and recovered. He says this is what they’re starting to see in China and Korea.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:40 pm 
General Manager

SergioTheLittleMan wrote:
Disco Ball wrote:
I am by nature an optimistic person, but unless a vaccine is found, I don't see any baseball until at least Memorial Day. I also wonder how soon they will be able to play in NYC.

There is also the fear factor: even if the "all clear" is sounded, a lot of folks are going to be VERY cautious for a long time. Kind of a PTSD. I know it will take me a little while.

Living in the Lehigh Valley PA, I am somewhat away from the epicenter. Wishing all the board members in the tri-state area safety and good health.

There's not going to be an all clear sounded until there's a vaccine. The best case scenario is we have it "contained" at one point (June / July maybe) and then have to maintain social distancing and "contact trace" as new outbreaks occur. In that context, crowds are out and I'm doubtful MLB is going to risk player's health. While baseball itself has some natural social distancing (60' 6", etc) it's not enough, in my opinion.

They cannot wait till there's a vaccine, that's at least a year or so away. They'll wait until the numbers are down enough and the country has enough equipment/testing to meet the number of cases. The danger isn't so much the virus itself as it is hospitals and their workers being overwhelmed by the virus and lack of supplies to handle x number of cases at once.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:42 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MikeH wrote:
How long until the Astros weaponize it?

As much as I want to disagree, Sergio may be right. Until there is a vaccine, we have to practice social distancing. And that pretty much rules out any hope of playing baseball.

What happens when a player tests positive? He has to enter quarantine? Does the rest of the team? What happens when the Mets play the Braves and a third of the 40 man is in quarantine?

Until we can identify who is carrying, who has carried, and who has yet to carry, we are kinda stuck. Widespread, quick testing. That’s what we need.

And hopefully this is not a seasonal thing.

I don't have a problem with filling up teams rosters with AAA guys. In fact, that might even be kind of fun, but obviously, the overall safety is the bigger concern.

Whoever predicted no baseball season, I hope it doesn't come to that, but it very easily could happen. I hope they work out a way to make it happen though. I miss baseball.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:01 am 
Legend of NYFS

IF there is no 2020 baseball, very real scenario that we're sitting here in 2021 with the Wilpons looking to tighten pursestrings even more due to loss of 2020 revenue, and we have a starting rotation entering the season of DeGrom, Matz, David Peterson** (who will have yet to throw above AA) and a cavalcade of guys like Lockett, Oswalt and some low cost 1 year veterans. Woooooooof.

**Its actually probably more likely we deal Peterson for a last year of arbitration guy. Jon Gray?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:34 pm 
Legend of NYFS

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
IF there is no 2020 baseball, very real scenario that we're sitting here in 2021 with the Wilpons looking to tighten pursestrings even more due to loss of 2020 revenue, and we have a starting rotation entering the season of DeGrom, Matz, David Peterson** (who will have yet to throw above AA) and a cavalcade of guys like Lockett, Oswalt and some low cost 1 year veterans. Woooooooof.

**Its actually probably more likely we deal Peterson for a last year of arbitration guy. Jon Gray?

Stroman, Lowrie, Porcello, Ramos, Betances, Cespedes, Wilson, Wacha, Marisnick all off the books, though. Adds up to about 65-70 million (not counting any incentives).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:57 pm 
Franchise Player

If there's no 2020 season, then I hope Mookie Betts goes back to Boston (or comes here). That would be a bizarre outcome for the Dodgers.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:52 pm 
Veteran Presence

MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Aren't these idiots supposed to be selling the team??

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:44 am 
Legend of NYFS

First steps/agreements have been made towards a shortened season.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/re ... r-BB11LQ6C

The 2020 and 2021 drafts could be interesting. Colleges are granting an extra year of eligibility to players due to the loss of this season so next year's draft class could be stacked. This year's will be done with much less scouting than usual and just 5 picks. (Mets get 6 I'm guessing with the Wheeler compensation).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:30 pm 
Rookie

I'm sure this has been said elsewhere, but I really dislike the idea of cutting the draft to just 5 rounds. Seems like it will make it easier to transition to a smaller minor league system...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:32 pm 
Rookie

MarkJohnson>You wrote:

Great point about the rotation. Yuck.

Having Justin Dunn and Anthony Kay would look pretty nice right now, no?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:50 pm 
Legend of NYFS

TheUpperDeck wrote:
I'm sure this has been said elsewhere, but I really dislike the idea of cutting the draft to just 5 rounds. Seems like it will make it easier to transition to a smaller minor league system...

I'm sure that's a big part of it, though I understand reducing the draft given the lack of scouting. It's going to be a strange draft with much less information than usual.

They're cutting the 2021 draft to 20 rounds, which seems wrong given how stacked that draft could be. Owners trying to get draft picks cheaper is at the heart of that I think, and the smaller minor league system too. Bad time to be a draft prospect.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next