MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Most quiet ST ever?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:16 pm 
Franchise Player

My grandmother used to rave about Cleon. But she also raved about Choo Choo Coleman, and he hit like a buck ninety, so I kinda thought she was a homer and liked anybody from that era. This led to me perhaps discounting how good Cleon was and how different the game was. Shoot, maybe Coleman was good! Grandma might’ve been an early pitch framing Stan and knew he had the goods. Although...Casey Stengel said he never saw a catcher so fast...at retrieving passed balls. So maybe not, Grandma!

But Cleon has the stats! His ‘69 is an all-timer. That’s as good a year as any Met outfielder ever. Cespedes’ post trading deadline ‘15 was the best outfield play we’ve seen, but Cleon’s full season is remarkable. I submit. You’ve convinced me. Kingman no longer starts! Cleon it is.

Or maybe Rusty. Great name. Or maybe Yo. Buttt maybe Conforto? How about Cedeno? I hate to be that guy. But he killed it for a year. Rickey, too. You really can’t go wrong starting Rickey Henderson. Butttt you could say the same for Willie’s ghost. Can you fault a manager for starting Willie freakin Mays in a winner take all game? I cannot.

Sooo, Cleon it is. Kingman to be on my bench. Cleon starts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:19 pm 
Franchise Player

Who would call the game? Lindsey Nelson and Bob Murphy and Ralph Kiner, I’d assume. Gary, Keith, and Ron when the play goes into extras? Or as a three headed sideline reporter? Kidscasters call the 3rd inning? Touch em all, David. You deserve it.

I’m also waffling as to how the game would go. Im certain I see the pitching molding together— forming an impenetrable force— and retiring all in its path. A perfect game. The offense though. They are baseball heroes, all. Legendary Mets worthy of the time devoted to pursuing their exploits. But, sensing the game’s importance, and not wanting to disappoint, would strand 3 runners an inning, saving the shutout, prolonging the game, and giving the fans what they want. More baseball. They would rise to the challenge of not scoring and require our monuments of pitching greatness to prolong the perfect game. I do not doubt the batters would eventually scratch across a run or 10. They all have my faith. But wouldn’t it be so Mets, if they didn’t. So that’s what I’m waffling on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:11 am 
Everyday Player

Sleeper pick at first: 1998 John Olerud. 354/447/591. GG level glove. Joe McIlvaine wasn't a very good GM, but this was a great trade. I was always sorry they let him get away after the 1999 season. He had some great years in SEA after that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:18 am 
Legend of NYFS

He wanted to go back home.

The wilpons are the worst owners in worldwide professional sports.

brodie is the worst GM in the history of Earth

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:25 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Disco Ball wrote:
Sleeper pick at first: 1998 John Olerud. 354/447/591. GG level glove. Joe McIlvaine wasn't a very good GM, but this was a great trade. I was always sorry they let him get away after the 1999 season. He had some great years in SEA after that.

Hall of Fame peak, unfortunately he declined so early.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:58 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Several surprising names on this list for me.

Rico...
Suave

and Ike Davis.

matlack72 wrote:
I find this talk about Kelenic comical. He's a 19 year old kid who hit .253 at Kingsport
and struck out once a game and people are talking like he's the second coming. Get real people. When you have a chance to get the best reliever in the game who's only 24 and give up Kelenic in the deal, you MAKE that deal. Stop with the nonsense.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:06 pm 
NYFS Historian

tejdog1 wrote:

Rico...
Suave

and Ike Davis.

So this is just first baseman, no?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:17 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Yes. Min 600 PAs, top 10 by wRC+ at 1b for the Mets.

matlack72 wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:50 pm 
NYFS Historian

I was wondering if Olerud's desire to go back home were related to his daughter's illness. Then I saw she was born in 2000 and he signed with the M's in December of 1999.
Great player. He was also a great pitcher in college and there was quite bit of talk about him doing both in the pros when he was drafted.
That would have been fun.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:20 am 
Everyday Player

Interesting tidbit on the trade that brought Olerud to the Mets. In return the Mets shipped Robert Person to the Blue Jays. Person was the #4 starter in a rotation that included the ill-fated Generation K (all together now--Pulse, Izzy, and Wilson). Talk about an afterthought!

When Person retired at the end of 2003, he lead all three of his former farmhand mates in both IP and Ks. Izzy was able to extend his career by several years, including another one here to pass him in both categories. Just goes to show about prospect lists.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:50 am 
Legend of NYFS

Looks like today's game might get rained out.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:56 am 
Legend of NYFS

tejdog1 wrote:

Rico...
Suave

and Ike Davis.

Are you surprised for good reasons or bad? Under your parameters, its only a sample size of 22 and a bunch of those are more utility guys than 1B (Flores, Tatis, Franco).

Being 10th on this list is not exactly an accomplishment of any noteworthiness. He's actually tied with Eddy Murray, and Tatis, Mo Vaughn and Dave Kingman are all right there.

I guess the bigger point is that if you would've told me to guess Ike Davis' career OPS as a Met, .750ish would've felt right.

I think my biggest surprise on this list is Carlos Delgado felt a lot more 'special' in the moment than the numbers bear out, which aren't very good at all.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next