MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Most quiet ST ever?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:04 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

Very quiet here. Little discussion on games. No big issues in camp. Less complaining than usual, but not a lot of enthusiasm either. Just seems an odd spring.

Post subject: Re: Most quiet ST ever?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:04 pm 
Rookie

I'm amazed there is any discussion cause, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there isn't going to be a baseball season.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:04 pm 
Rookie

To be clear, not saying that's been declared officially; it's just what seems very likely to occur.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:17 pm 
Legend of NYFS

There's no risk in playing games, just risk in large crowds. I think they'll try to save the season. TV viewership will probably be up.

Some games were cancelled in 1918/1919 but the seasons survived, also some were cancelled in 1918 due to the war.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:33 pm 
Veteran Presence

They can just have the teams play in empty stadium.like it Italy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:44 pm 
Rookie

I know they are doing that in other countries but is it realistic to play a 162 game season without revenue from ticket sales, parking, concessions, etc? I'm not asking rhetorically; I don't know (but I'm guessing not).

On a side note, I was kind of imagining yesterday GKR calling the game sitting 6 feet away from each other in an eerily quiet stadium where, potentially, HR hitters are not greeted by teammates at home plate.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:47 pm 
Rookie

OTOH, you'd really get "the sounds of the game".

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:54 pm 
Legend of NYFS

SergioTheLittleMan wrote:
I know they are doing that in other countries but is it realistic to play a 162 game season without revenue from ticket sales, parking, concessions, etc? I'm not asking rhetorically; I don't know (but I'm guessing not).

On a side note, I was kind of imagining yesterday GKR calling the game sitting 6 feet away from each other in an eerily quiet stadium where, potentially, HR hitters are not greeted by teammates at home plate.

I get what you're saying, but I'm pretty sure they would still be on the hook to pay the players their millions, so it would seem to be more cost effective to play the games and televise than to not? Some teams might lose money (others would probably be fine), but at the end of the day they stand to lose more money if they still have to pay the players and they can't collect the television revenue that currently drives the game's profits.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:42 am 
Prospect

Don't mean to sound ignorant but I've obviously missed something. What is this discussion about the season being in doubt?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:26 am 
Legend of NYFS

Older Than Dirt wrote:
Don't mean to sound ignorant but I've obviously missed something. What is this discussion about the season being in doubt?

COVID-19 has caused the cancelation of sporting events throughout Italy and is highly likely to do the same here. It's already caused many companies to suspend non-essential travel, and SXSW was just canceled. There's a strong possibility that there will be baseball games played in front of empty stadiums at some point this season.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:56 am 
NYFS Staff

I imagine it's already financially affecting how many fans are visiting small Florida for spring training etc.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:26 am 
Legend of NYFS

On the other hand, if you're young the risks are lower. If I was 30 years younger I might take my chances and score some seats closer to the field than I usually buy. At my age, I'm in a higher risk demographic for this situation.

Not recommending anyone do that, only that, seats close to the field - I'd be tempted.