MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cohen increases Met investment (80%)/ Wilpons out by 202
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:05 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Metsfan980 wrote:
stevereiff wrote:
If Arod becomes owner, I bet Conforto is given a big extension. He loves that opposite field swing.

If Arod is part of the ownership group, then it will probably be some corporate group that is hyper-focused on maximizing profits. They'll probably run some model that decides that the Mets can squeeze out a few more pennies by running out replacement-level players on minimum salaries that win 60 games a year than paying big salaries to win it all.

See the Marlins as an example.

What would make you think that? Just bc Jeter and ARod were teammates..?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:09 pm 
Legend of NYFS

HeyNowHK wrote:
Metsfan980 wrote:
stevereiff wrote:
If Arod becomes owner, I bet Conforto is given a big extension. He loves that opposite field swing.

If Arod is part of the ownership group, then it will probably be some corporate group that is hyper-focused on maximizing profits. They'll probably run some model that decides that the Mets can squeeze out a few more pennies by running out replacement-level players on minimum salaries that win 60 games a year than paying big salaries to win it all.

Because neither is nearly rich enough to be an "owner" so they are just a face, and they are bankrolled by people who are content to put a lot of money in yet not be a control person - aka, financial investors strictly.

If those bankrolling a potential JRod ownership group had interest in running a baseball team as a project designed for baseball reasons, why wouldn't he or she just be the control person ? Because they're using it as a passive investment, not interested in baseball successes but rather profitability and return on investment.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:00 pm 
Legend of NYFS

I remember how the Nets used to publicize that Jay Z was a part owner, and it turned out he had like 80 grand invested.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:08 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Owners still have to hire people to run their organizations. And the success or failure of any org largely depends on whom the people are that are empowered to run it. Of course investors put their money at risk for the purpose of making profits/asset valuation increases. That would make them no different than any other ownership group. Likewise, every org understands that winning on the field translates to higher profits via ticket sales, merchandise, tv and other rights revenues.

Of course, teams go about the strategy of their attempts to win differently and that reflects both ability to spend, and also the talent and philosophy of the people making the decisions. I understand the urge to be cynical but coming from the depths of where this org sits, I’d welcome a group fronted by ARod. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t prefer Steve Cohen to buy it; I would. And of course that could go sideways also.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:48 pm 
Franchise Player

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
HeyNowHK wrote:
Metsfan980 wrote:

Because neither is nearly rich enough to be an "owner" so they are just a face, and they are bankrolled by people who are content to put a lot of money in yet not be a control person - aka, financial investors strictly.

If those bankrolling a potential JRod ownership group had interest in running a baseball team as a project designed for baseball reasons, why wouldn't he or she just be the control person ? Because they're using it as a passive investment, not interested in baseball successes but rather profitability and return on investment.

This.

Ownership groups with a public face are usually large groups of investors that hide behind that public face (and that public face has a very small portion of the investment) and treat the organization like any other business that is used only to make profits and offload debt. That sort of arrangement is designed to run a business into the ground while making any additional penny possible, and creating a winning baseball team is usually too expensive for the amount of risk they're willing to take.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:54 am 
Everyday Player

Derek Jeter enjoys a fine reputation in the game. I do wonder why he would risk it to be the front man for a bunch of investors in Miami. That's why I can't buy this argument fully. A-Rod and J-Lo are also very image conscious.

While 5 or 50 years of being a Mets fan is enough to make a cynic out of anyone, I can't fully believe that they would willingly be the fall guys for a bunch of faceless rich folk, let alone pay for the privilege.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:13 pm 
Legend of NYFS

According to a report in Variety (of all places), Josh Harris and David Blitzer (partners in the 76ers and Devils) are exploring some level of interest. Not sure what to make of that other than they let the Sixers absolutely bottom out for several years before ascending. Don’t know if we can say that they would do the same thing with the Mets. They are hedge funders but I don’t know how deep their pockets are.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:09 pm 
Legend of NYFS

There’s a variety (no pun intended) of opinions on how these 2 guys might run the team. Sixers or Devils fans would have more insight worth hearing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:34 am 
General Manager

Considering how much their teams have lost I wouldn't be thrilled. They have spent 'at times' and don't seem totally allergic to it, but seem more enthralled with the long rebuild where they don't have to bother worrying about the team. Shero did get fired ostensibly cause even their patience had limits but realistically the Devils are going to be in yet another 2-3 year rebuild no matter who they bring in as the new GM.

While just about anyone would be an upgrade over the Coupons (and they'd qualify) I think they're more worried about what ancilary value they could get out of Citi Field and SNY with entertainment than with the team itself. And there is a little screw you guys over the fact they were going to cut their employees during the pandemic but bowed to public pressure. The pandemic's bad enough for paycuts but not enough to prevent you from buying a $2 million team?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:02 pm 
Fan Favorite

https://omny.fm/shows/moose-maggie-wfan ... t-soshnick
very good listen gives me hope. Also mentions a mystery buy.

Where Are my Shades!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you build from within, we will WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never underestimate the HEART OF A MAVERICK AND A CHAMPION!!!!!!!!!!!!! It won’t matter what we do . We are the Mets it won’t work out!!!! No matter what we do, as long as we are owned by the COUPONS we will always be cursed. #CouponCurse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:52 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Laura Goldman
@laurasgoldman

It looks like Josh Harris is serious about buying the #Mets and not a bargain basement price. This is from part owners who have talked to him. He would be buying the whole team.

Laura Goldman
@laurasgoldman

I also think it's going to be Harris now. Nothing is guaranteed when negotiating with the Wilpons. No one has been able to close a deal with them. ARod and #JLo would be part of the ownership team. #Mets

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:30 pm 
Legend of NYFS

Daaaarryyl wrote:
Laura Goldman
@laurasgoldman

It looks like Josh Harris is serious about buying the #Mets and not a bargain basement price. This is from part owners who have talked to him. He would be buying the whole team.

Laura Goldman
@laurasgoldman

I also think it's going to be Harris now. Nothing is guaranteed when negotiating with the Wilpons. No one has been able to close a deal with them. ARod and #JLo would be part of the ownership team. #Mets

Saw that. Harris group appearing to be getting the most attention. First and foremost is that a sale seems inevitable and that’s certainly a good thing. As to what kind of owner Harris will be, it’s pretty unclear. It’s likely not a passion play, but strictly an investment. Of course at that price, few can be frivolous about it so I don’t begrudge treating like a business. Still will come down to whom they choose to run the baseball operation.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 31  Next