MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: IGT 5/17/19 Mets @ Marlins
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:00 am 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

How is it the manager's fault when the ace gets hit around and the offense scores 6?

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:25 am 
General Manager

SergioTheLittleMan wrote:
Callaway probably doesn’t deserve to go based on this year. But he’s overmatched (and, I don’t think, respected; could be wrong) overall. If it takes blowing this series to the Marlins to do it, I’m all for it (I was pro-Callaway’s hiring but feel like I got sold a bill of goods. Bet Mets feel that way, too).

Yeah might as well get the inevitable over with at this point. Supposedly Brodie was asking AGM candidates before the season how they'd react if Mickey was canned in-season. Whether you like Mickey or not (and he's looked amateur to me since the lineup fiasco), he never had a shot to stay long-term with Brodie unless the Mets pulled a Major League and won the whole ****ing thing. Especially with all the win-now moves Brodie made, anything less than a 30-15 start and the axe was going to fall.

And we know the manager's just going to be a glorified puppet for what the front office wants to do, but you gotta at least have enough cache and willingness to hold players accountable while not screwing up the simplest things.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:45 am 
Practically A Wilpon

The Cano trade looks worse and worse every day. Five years of this poison pill. Ugh

Might be the worst trade in franchise history when you consider all the factors:

5 years and about $150m* when all is said and done for a closer with a 2-3 per year WAR and a temperamental 2B who looks like league average at best now and is declining. Add to that the loss of an ELITE prospect who looks like the next Chipper Jones and a serviceable upper system arm.

Meanwhile, they could have just paid around $80m for a free agent 2-3 WAR closer and slid McNeil into 2B. Leaving over $12m in annual salary commitment available for use where its needed.

Add to that the wasted $10m to Lowrie.

Worst GM ever. But hey, he made December exciting.....

*($40m to $50m in probable salary for Diaz over 5 years + Cano's $100m)

"I think the best owners always are the ones who understand that they really don't own the team. The fans own the team. For a period of time, you are a steward, and you'll be judged on how well you manage that."
- Warriors COO Rick Welts