MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: IGT 7/8/11 Mets (ouR.Ace) @ Giants (Vogelsong)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:10 pm 
Franchise Player

Undefeated 2011 IGT status on the line here. Time to sweep the Giants, coupled with the Phils (ugh) sweeping the Braves! Let's be 4.5 of the WC heading into the all star break!

Crazyhorse CF
BigRed 2B
Blame RF
Bad Haircut 3B
Singles-R-Us LF
The Dude 1B
TwitterQwitter C
I-Look-12 SS

Post subject: Re: IGT 7/8/11 Mets (ouR.Ace) @ Giants (Vogelsong)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:28 pm 
NYFS Staff

Love the optimism, JJF! Keep it up. LGM!

Interesting read from Mark Simon on Bay's value.
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/p ... nd-batting

Quote:
Consider this: The Mets enter Friday 81-73 when Bay has started a game within the last two seasons. They are 43-53 when he doesn’t start.
In his 62 games this season, Bay has 10 Defensive Runs Saved (a number which measures the ability to turn batted balls into outs and the deterrent ability of ones throwing arm), which ranks third-best among leftfielders in the majors, trailing only Brett Gardner of the Yankees (17) and Gerardo Parra of the Diamondbacks (15).
We’ll close this out with one more stat to show just how important Bay can be: Bay hasn’t gotten a lot of extra-base hits during his Mets stint, but the team is 28-10 when he gets at least one, 8-1 in 2011.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:01 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Listening to Joe and Evan just now on the fan and they're (rightfully) ticked of about something.

The Yankee-Ray game has been cancelled. Reportedly the Yankees (the home team) want to play a doubleheader tommorow. However, the Rays are refusing to go along with this plan and apparently the doubleheader has been been called off.

Remember in April the Mets protested having to play 2 doubleheaders in a 3 day span and were overruled by the home team Atlanta Braves, forcing the extra games.

Why are the road team Rays allowed to refuse to play 2 but the road team Mets had to suck it up (again this was TWO DOUBLEHEADERS in 3 DAYS!!) and play the doubleheader.
Both situations were involving intro-division games that could be made up later, especially with the Mets situation happening way back in April. What 's the difference here??

They're still on the air and are trying to get someone from the league office to answer this question. They've got ME angry now too!

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:48 pm 
Veteran Presence

Daaaarryyl wrote:
Listening to Joe and Evan just now on the fan and they're (rightfully) ticked of about something.

The Yankee-Ray game has been cancelled. Reportedly the Yankees (the home team) want to play a doubleheader tommorow. However, the Rays are refusing to go along with this plan and apparently the doubleheader has been been called off.

Remember in April the Mets protested having to play 2 doubleheaders in a 3 day span and were overruled by the home team Atlanta Braves, forcing the extra games.

Why are the road team Rays allowed to refuse to play 2 but the road team Mets had to suck it up (again this was TWO DOUBLEHEADERS in 3 DAYS!!) and play the doubleheader.
Both situations were involving intro-division games that could be made up later, especially with the Mets situation happening way back in April. What 's the difference here??

They're still on the air and are trying to get someone from the league office to answer this question. They've got ME angry now too!

Maybe the Mets were trying to be a citizen to MLB like with not going overslot? :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:02 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Sweeni Murte on with Steve Sommers stated that there was a difference between a straight doubleheader and a split doubleheader and that one of them requires permission from the road team while the other one does not. And so I suspect is the difference between the two situations.

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:25 pm 
Legend of NYFS

This is going to be a frustrating set of games upcoming.

Hope the starters are up to the task.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:50 pm 
Veteran Presence

Dickey has it dancing tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:56 pm 
Legend of NYFS

1 solidly struck ball for either team so far (Duda).

Kind of what you expected.

Side note: Turner has changed his stance. He used to load up with his bat resting a bit on his shoulder; seems like he's wrapping it a bit now. I wonder why he shifted- obviously the results have not been very good lately.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:12 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

Bay should be running

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:13 pm 
Practically A Wilpon

MarkJohnson>You wrote:
1 solidly struck ball for either team so far (Duda).

Kind of what you expected.

Side note: Turner has changed his stance. He used to load up with his bat resting a bit on his shoulder; seems like he's wrapping it a bit now. I wonder why he shifted- obviously the results have not been very good lately.

easier on his thumb?

Turner did just break the Mets record

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:13 pm 
Rookie

I just got home.

Why are Bob Costas and Al Michaels calling this game?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:15 pm 
NYFS Historian

ghoti. wrote:
I just got home.

Why are Bob Costas and Al Michaels calling this game?

2 innings on Giants , 2 innings on Mets telecast, rest on MLB network...

1st game either have called in years

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next