MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: International Signings 2019
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:54 pm 
NYFS Staff

Hojo4Life wrote:
anotherhoward wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:

Quantity is good. Quality is better.

I believe some article I read on our class stated the Mets actually went for quantity this year over quality, which was what they did previous years.

It was actually a tweet from Matt Ehalt:

Quote:
@MattEhalt

Mets big July 2 signing was outfielder Alexander Ramirez for $2.05 million, source confirms.

The team changed its signing strategy this year going more for a quantity approach. They had been big-game hunting last few years.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:34 pm 
Exec. VP Baseball Operations

Hojo4Life wrote:
anotherhoward wrote:
R Nitelight wrote:

Quantity is good. Quality is better.

I believe some article I read on our class stated the Mets actually went for quantity this year over quality, which was what they did previous years.

Rafael Perez is back and he's even said he prefers playing the numbers game.

Don't necessarily agree with the quantity over spending big on less amount of players but it is what it is....

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:29 pm 
Rookie

I believe some article I read on our class stated the Mets actually went for quantity this year over quality, which was what they did previous years.[/quote]

Rafael Perez is back and he's even said he prefers playing the numbers game.

Don't necessarily agree with the quantity over spending big on less amount of players but it is what it is....[/quote]

When it comes to 16 year old kids, the quanity approach makes sense. The player is in the middle of puberty and get a growth spurt and all of sudden be 2 inches taller and add 3-5mph on a fastball. Signing 3-4 players for huge money doesn't mean success. Michael Ynoa was a stud prospect who got 5 million, where is he now?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:16 am 
Legend of NYFS

Quote:
Jacob Resnick
‏ @Jacob_Resnick
22m22 minutes ago

The #Mets signed Kevin Ribon, a RHP from Mexico, yesterday:

Link

8)

8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:50 pm 
NYFS Staff

Have we heard any other signing bonus news? Just wondering who else we gave money to.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:19 pm 
Everyday Player

Of the 34 confirmed signings, 27 are 16 years old, 4 17's and 3 18's.

That's and extremely high number of 16's signed by the Mets. In 2018 16 out of 58 signings and in 2017 16 of 44 signings were 16 years old.

With that many 16 years old signed they may have used quite a bit of their bonus pool.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:50 am 

BA:

Quote:
Major league baseball is discussing a 20-round international draft concept, with a goal of implementing the draft as soon as 2020, with 2021 another possibility.

Mlb officials met yesterday with international club personnel in miami and told them that owners are in support on an international draft and want it in place as soon as possible. Mlb solicited feedback from international scouting officials on its draft concept, so a lot of the specifics—including the number of rounds, when a draft would begin and other details—are still likely to change.

An international draft is subject to collective bargaining with the mlb players' association, so once mlb finalizes an internal proposal, the union would need to sign off. The two sides are currently in midterm bargaining over the current collective bargaining agreement, which runs through the end of the 2021 season.

Quote:
One of the bigger twists in mlb's latest draft concept is the draft order. Instead of replicating the order of the june draft, which would reward the team with the worst record the previous season with two no. 1 overall draft picks, the teams picking at the top of the draft would rotate annually by division. So one year, for example, the teams in the national league east would get the top five overall picks. The next year another division would get the top five picks, and it would rotate every six years.

While trainers for international players and many international scouts were opposed to a draft when mlb and the union were discussing it in the last cba negotiation, that sentiment has shifted. There is now a more split camp among both trainers and scouts about an international draft, with many of them now more receptive to the idea as a way to slow down the acceleration of early agreements that has players committing to teams when they are 13 and 14 years old.

Yeah, and if you're using the "He's 19" logic, then I guess the best report a scout could give us is:

"I have no idea. He's a teenager. He may go through 5 arm surgeries between now and his 30th birthday. He may add a pitch. He may lose a pitch. He may put on 30 lbs and add velocity. He may put on 50 lbs and eat his way out of the league. I literally have no idea what he is going to be."

But thats not what these guys are paid to do, nor what we are looking for them to do, right?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:40 am 
Blue Chipper

If the draft order is going to rotate by year then logically it should snake as well. That won’t happen, but it would be fair.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:09 am 
Practically A Wilpon

Not sure why snake would improve that. I would think that within division you’d still want worst to first m

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:11 am 
Legend of NYFS

Mets signed Dominican RHP Amaury Pereyra on 8/9/19.

Little old at 19, but nice size at 6'5" 198.

Assigned to the DSL Mets2.

8)

8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:36 am 
Legend of NYFS

Quote:
Ben Badler
@BenBadler
·
15m
This one's pretty remarkable. The Mets have signed a Venezuelan pitcher at 17 who's throwing 99 mph:
2019-20 MLB International Review: New York Mets
10 scouting reports on the latest Mets international signings, led by a flame-throwing teenager with a 99 mph fastball
baseballamerica.com

Link

8)

8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:01 pm 

R Nitelight wrote:
Quote:
Ben Badler
@BenBadler
·
15m
This one's pretty remarkable. The Mets have signed a Venezuelan pitcher at 17 who's throwing 99 mph:
2019-20 MLB International Review: New York Mets
10 scouting reports on the latest Mets international signings, led by a flame-throwing teenager with a 99 mph fastball
baseballamerica.com

Link

8)

Jacob Resnick
@Jacob_Resnick
@BaseballAmerica reports a #Mets international signing that went under the radar: 6-foot-4, 19-year-old Venezuelan RHP Robert Dominguez, who has been clocked up to 99 mph.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next