MESSAGE BOARDS TOOLS:  Search | Members | User Control Panel |   | Login 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pre-2019 season NYFS Mets top 50 prospects
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:52 pm 
Veteran Presence

I'm more concerned with Newton's swing-and-miss habit than his glove. He's young and has time to develop/improve on it, but 84 Ks in 56 Rookie League games is alarming. I could easily see him flaming out as soon as this season in Cola, hitting low .200s or lower with tons and tons of Ks. If that's the case, it doesn't really matter of how good he is defensively, be it at SS or 3B or CF.

Not saying he doesn't possess the potential for stardom or that he is undeserving of his ranking, but to me his variance in outcomes is much larger than a guy like Vientos, for example. I mean, we're still talking about an uber athletic, switch-hitting shortstop with a good frame, so I get the drool-worthy potential some see in him, but it's all for naught if he can't make enough contact to make his speed/power a factor.

I think people are overlooking the K issues because he managed a nice .280 average (thanks to a .421 BABIP) and he also drew a ton of walks, but if he wasn't so fortunate with his BABIP and hit .220 instead, then I think the hype on him would be a little more restrained.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:25 pm 
General Manager

sticky this thread to the top

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:48 am 
Legend of NYFS

The Juice wrote:
I'm more concerned with Newton's swing-and-miss habit than his glove. He's young and has time to develop/improve on it, but 84 Ks in 56 Rookie League games is alarming. I could easily see him flaming out as soon as this season in Cola, hitting low .200s or lower with tons and tons of Ks. If that's the case, it doesn't really matter of how good he is defensively, be it at SS or 3B or CF.

Not saying he doesn't possess the potential for stardom or that he is undeserving of his ranking, but to me his variance in outcomes is much larger than a guy like Vientos, for example. I mean, we're still talking about an uber athletic, switch-hitting shortstop with a good frame, so I get the drool-worthy potential some see in him, but it's all for naught if he can't make enough contact to make his speed/power a factor.

I think people are overlooking the K issues because he managed a nice .280 average (thanks to a .421 BABIP) and he also drew a ton of walks, but if he wasn't so fortunate with his BABIP and hit .220 instead, then I think the hype on him would be a little more restrained.

As I understand it, the hype on Newton is because of his tools, not his stats. Big frame, should add power and fluid in the field with a chance to stick at SS. It's enough to believe in. I think if he had a low K rate he'd get a fair bit more attention.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:21 am 
Legend of NYFS

LTKfRGM wrote:
The Juice wrote:

As I understand it, the hype on Newton is because of his tools, not his stats. Big frame, should add power and fluid in the field with a chance to stick at SS. It's enough to believe in. I think if he had a low K rate he'd get a fair bit more attention.

Not just a chance to stay there... Law dropped a future potential 70 grade on him at SS. He may yet outgrow the position but quite an intriguing package. We are also talking bout the 8th best prospect in a mediocre system. That kind of upside = worth the moderate buzz he's received.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:24 pm 
Draft Pick

No mention of Zach Rheams even in HM? Kid has power to all fields. This will be his first full season in minors. Maybe Columbia?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:35 pm 
Legend of NYFS

KO1969 wrote:
No mention of Zach Rheams even in HM? Kid has power to all fields. This will be his first full season in minors. Maybe Columbia?

Sypa didn't seem like much of a fan

"Looking To 2019
Rheams has a long, exploitable swing. Because he does not have above-average bat speed or barrel control, he may never be able to shorten it up without sacrificing his ability to hit for power. As such, bolstering his other skills will be key. Rheams has a solid eye at the plate but is sometimes too passive at the plate and may benefit by being more “selectively aggressive.”"

https://www.amazinavenue.com/2018/10/23 ... -fireflies

56 k's over 179 ab's... yeesh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:00 pm 
Draft Pick

Metro, I thought Sypa gave him a pretty decent overall evaluation. Just the topic or title of his article speaks well of his opinion of Rheams. "10 best Mets minor league hitters I saw this year"

I think this year we will learn more about him.. His first full year in Milb. Kid has legit power, and to all fields. No big gripe with your list just thought he should have at least made HM.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:03 pm 
Legend of NYFS

KO1969 wrote:
Metro, I thought Sypa gave him a pretty decent overall evaluation. Just the topic or title of his article speaks well of his opinion of Rheams. "10 best Mets minor league hitters I saw this year"

I think this year we will learn more about him.. His first full year in Milb. Kid has legit power, and to all fields. No big gripe with your list just thought he should have at least made HM.

Sypa also noted he didn't see GCL, St. Lucie or Vegas

"Disclaimer: This is a ranking of the best players that I saw during the 2018 season. I saw a wide cross-section of teams in 2018, seeing the Kingsport Mets, Brooklyn Cyclones, Columbia Fireflies, and Binghamton Rumble Ponies, but I did not see the GCL Mets, St. Lucie Mets, or Las Vegas 51s, nor did I attend every single game of the teams that I did see. As such, this is not a comprehensive Mets prospect list. If a player is not on the list, I either did not see him, or considered the listed ten players better."

I'm not rooting against him or anything just noting reasons he didn't make it. There are probably 15-20 names who could have made the HM.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:58 am 
Legend of NYFS

@stluciemets Mets SP Tony Dibrell named @Mets "under the radar" prospect for 2019 https://www.milb.com/milb/news/under-th ... -305714372 #Mets

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:08 am 
Legend of NYFS

0 Mets named in top IL prospects list, 0 in the FSL, @andresgimenez in the EL, Ex-Met prospect Jarred Kelenic for the SAL https://www.milb.com/milb/news/toolshed ... -305845412 #Mets

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:43 am 
Rookie

Anyone seriously still picking Giminez over Alonso??

I know it’s only been a few games but Alonso looks like a future allstar..

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:18 pm 
Legend of NYFS

stevereiff wrote:
Anyone seriously still picking Giminez over Alonso??

I know it’s only been a few games but Alonso looks like a future allstar..

Alonso looks like a current All Star. I feel vindicated in this.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next